Average salary for a High School teacher ? (1 Viewer)

Bongos

HSC
Contemplating doing teaching, but someone tells me they get paid peanuts and others say they get paid quite well?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Starting salary is currently $59,706
Maximum atm is $89,050 for classroom teacher (salary is determined by experience, not performance atm), Head Teacher / Highly Accomplished Teachers $100k-110k.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That is the state system. In the private system you can add quite a few 1000s to that.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep!

I would be considered an 'experienced' teacher in an independent school operating on a 3-band system, meaning I would be on $100,527

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, that's not bad. I do remember my teacher talking to me about how much they got paid but as previously mentioned, it does depend on your position etc. I hear that principals can earn up to 150k. But of course, cem and Fizzy_Cyst would be more knowledgeable in this area.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yep!

I would be considered an 'experienced' teacher in an independent school operating on a 3-band system, meaning I would be on $100,527

I am an experienced teacher in the private sector and that is a co-ordinator one salary not a full-time classroom teacher - which is what I am. I will go to over 103,000 next March with our next pay-rise as a normal everyday classroom teacher in band 3. I was a co-ordinator 1 until a few years ago and would have been earning that 100,527 had I not given up that position as I wind down to retirement.

Takes about 8 years to reach that figure and then without promotion you stay there and hope the IEU gets decent regularly payrises without having to give up too much in the way of holidays - e.g. in the last 20 years I have had to give up 10 days holidays to PD days for pay rises.

mlibertino

HSC
N/A
What does experienced teacher mean? How many years of teaching would classify you as an 'experienced' teacher?
Thanks in advance

Astro551

HSC
What does experienced teacher mean? How many years of teaching would classify you as an 'experienced' teacher?
Thanks in advance
It works in a number of "steps" I believe. So the document I've linked at the bottom, on page 6 it talks about how you progress to different steps (YT = Year Trained, at Uni I assume). And page 21 shows the the salary for each step. Although this is and old document (2011) you get the idea :)

Not too sure how many years it takes to reach each level though.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/media/downloads/employment/awardcon/schoolteach.pdf#salaries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)