average of band 4 gives 90 atar? (1 Viewer)

fruitcandy

HSC
hsc_chart_6_v2.png

i just came across this pic which shows aggregated marks needed for atar above 90.
but it doesn't seem right to me. how come a band 4 across every subject give you a 90 atar?
or is that actually the raw mark needed?
someone explain to me..
:/

fruitcandy

HSC
You're confusing scaled mark with HSC mark
ohhh, i see.
say my chem raw mark is 70 and it get 'scaled' to 90. and after averaging with my internal mark/rank, the hsc mark is 90.
now the 90 will get scaled again into 80 and this is the mark they use for atar. right...?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
ohhh, i see.
say my chem raw mark is 70 and it get 'aligned' to 90. and after averaging with my internal mark/rank, the hsc mark is 90.
now the 90 will get scaled again into 80 and this is the mark they use for atar. right...?
Read the bolded

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You get a raw mark (say 70)

This gets aligned to another mark (say 90). So this is a band 6, and this is the HSC mark that will be on your HSC document.

Now this mark gets scaled even further, and basically every subject but a select few get scaled down. So this could become say an 80 scaled mark. This is the mark they use to calculate your ATAR, which is the mark in your link. However you never get told this mark, only your "aligned" mark.

braintic

HSC
N/A
You get a raw mark (say 70)

This gets aligned to another mark (say 90). So this is a band 6, and this is the HSC mark that will be on your HSC document.

Now this mark gets scaled even further, and basically every subject but a select few get scaled down. So this could become say an 80 scaled mark. This is the mark they use to calculate your ATAR, which is the mark in your link. However you never get told this mark, only your "aligned" mark.
Not that it really makes any difference, but the scaling done for the purpose of calculating the ATAR is done on the raw marks, not the aligned marks.
That is, it is not aligning followed by scaling. It is aligning and scaling performed independently on the same raw marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)