australia's health 1998 help! (1 Viewer)

ashburke1987

yeah i was jus lokin over it and i got nuffin on it from class but me teachre gave us a bunch of questions one being " SElect one national health priority ("Australias health" 1998) and explain a health promotion initiative that addresses the priority. (4 marks )
i got no idea how 2 answer it so if someone could help with that question as well thatd b greatly appreciated

ashbxxx

HSC
Without Wings said:
according to the syllabus you do...
"students learn to:
* Examine the AIHW report, Australia's Health to determine why the areas were selected as priorities"

*Analyse practical examples of the new public health model by examining:
Australia's health (1998)

Students Learn about:
* community responses (state and local level health promotion initiatives"

Jellybean Girl, here's some useful info on "Australia's Health and Community initiatives...

AUSTRALIA’S HEALTH (1998)

· This is an extensive health report produced by the Australian Institute Of Health and Welfare. The publication has been produced every two years since it first appeared in 1988.
· The aim of the report is to provide accurate information on patterns of health and illness, the use of health services and health expenditure.

COMMUNITY RESPONSES (STATE AND LOCAL LEVEL HEALTH PROMOTION INITIATIVES

STATE INITIATIVES:
· Significant steps came about in the late 1980’s, early 1990’s due to the national ‘Health for all Australian’s’ report and the subsequent national Better Health Program.
· The focus areas in NSW are similar to the global focus areas and are targeted by government programs such as Quit for Life. They are supported by non-government organizations which are endeavoring to improve the health of the NSW population through health promotion. Examples:
o Quit for Life - Cancer Council
o Mental health awareness week - National Rotary Foundation
o Jump rope for Life - Heart Foundation

COMMUNITY/LOCAL INITIATIVES:
· These may be designed to target specific health needs of the population within the community such as the needle exchange program. The local government might see a need to initiate health promotion strategies such as an immunisation program and others are initiated by individuals or small groups of people who for a variety of reasons are motivated to help others facing similar problems such as –Alcoholics Anonymous.
· Examples of services provided by local governments include:
* Child-care services * Aged-care services
* Information services * Safety initiatives
* Recreational activities and facilities * Employment Programs

ashburke - you can answer your question by choosing a health priority, so either:
· Cardiovascular disease
· Cancer
· Injury
· Mental Health
· Diabetes
· Asthma

and then explaining a health promotion initiative which addresses it...so for example if you chose cancer as the priority you could outline a cancer council initiative such as the seymour snowman program. (to learn more about this initiative, check the resources page where i posted an assessment i did on this, and how it addresses cancer, through the ottowa charter points)
ash- hey could you please tell me where abouts the resources page is, i wanna go and check out what kind of info is on there, thanks

jessied

HSC
"Australia's Health" the report produced by the AIHW is "updated" every 2 years (biennial) so for the most recent statistics you'll need the 2004 Report which can be downloaded or found on the AIHW website http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10014

Just before trails and HSC I went through the relevant parts of the report (sections 2,3 and 4 mainly) and picked out statistics about the NHPA's and stuff like that. It's an extreamly useful report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)