Australian Scientist (1 Viewer)

wahashtini

does anyone know an australian Scientist, or actually a physicist. Can u plz give me a brief summary of some1 ur using

tinkkuuuuu

helper

HSC
N/A
You do not have to know the name of an Australian Scientist. Rather how you gathered the information.
Best bet use www.google.com.au
Reduce search to Australia only
Even better if you search only .edu.au, .gov.au, .csiro.au to increase reliability.

Do this and you find hundreds of Australian physicists.

Good areas to search
Superconductivity
Photocells
Solar Cells
Astrophysics
Quantum Mechanics
Relativity

Or any other new area of physics

Assasinator_2

HSC
Tried gonig to a university's website, and looking at the researchers in the physics departments there?

For example, i know at UQ that a few of hte lecturers I have had already are some of hte leading physicists in the fields of naontechnology, atomic phyiscs, and other such stuff. (Uni of Queensland, FYI)

JayWalker

HSC
helper said:
You do not have to know the name of an Australian Scientist. Rather how you gathered the information.
Best bet use www.google.com.au
Reduce search to Australia only
Even better if you search only .edu.au, .gov.au, .csiro.au to increase reliability.

Do this and you find hundreds of Australian physicists.

Good areas to search
Superconductivity
Photocells
Solar Cells
Astrophysics
Quantum Mechanics
Relativity

Or any other new area of physics
Actually you do need to know them, and what they did.. Refer to my other post "Syllabus Points often Overlooked"

helper

HSC
N/A
Jaywalker read the syllabus as a whole and you find you are wrong.

A student:
H12. evaluates ways in which accuracy and reliability could be improved in investigations

Students:
12.3 gather information from secondary sources by:
a) accessing information from a range of resources, including popular scientific journals, digital technologies and the Internet
b) practising efficient data collection techniques to identify useful information in secondary sources
c) extracting information from numerical data in graphs and tables as well as written and spoken material in all its forms
d) summarising and collating information from a range of resources
e) identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and in formation about their research
If you want to abbreviate it then becomes.

Students gather information from secondary sources by identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and in formation about their research

This point does not say:

identify practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and in formation about their research

Rather it is asking you to be able to identify practicising Australian Scientists, so that you can then use this to gather secondary information about there area of research.

Then at the top of 9.1 where this comes from

9.1 Physics Skills
During the HSC course, it is expected that students will further develop skills in planning and conducting investigations, communicating information and understanding, scientific thinking and problem solving and working individually and in teams. Each module specifies content through which skill outcomes can be achieved. Teachers should develop activities based on that content to provide students with opportunities to develop the full range of skills.
This section is about developing skills not extra knowledge you have to remember.

Finally it is impossible to mark a question on identify an Australian Scientists as the markers do not have the resources available to them to be able to check every Australian scientist.

Last edited:

JayWalker

HSC
The inclusion of the "and information about their research" surely seems to me like they want you to give an example.

Not to mention the fact that combined, male and female, there are less than 15 Australian physicists "CURRENTLY working" which would mean that it is less than the number of relivent people that could be used to answer a question on rocket science for that matter.

Even if I am wrong, it wont hurt just to remember what they do.. right?

helper

HSC
N/A
There is a lot more than 15 practicising Australian physicists currently working.

Using an example in the contect of how you gathered data to find out who an Australian physicist is and then gathered secondary information is not going to do you any harm.
If you can explain the steps of how you came up with them and what you then did to gain secondary data on there research will answer a question.

I was just clearing up the misleading point that worries a lot of students that they need to be able to quote back the names of Australian Scientists.

Similarly it does not say they have to be practising in Australia. It just makes it easier to identify them.
Eg. Vicki Meadows an Australian Female astronomer who works for NASA would fit this description.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/newworlds/planets_cyberspace.html

This is why the second part of your other post is good but it is the application of the skills which you have listed what needs to be done. The first part is not going to help anyone as it doesn't go through the processes involved in using the information.

CrashOveride

HSC
hmm never even knew about this...can someone clearly outline what exactly we have to know ...

also, have they ever asked anything about this before? any samples etc?

and this is just one dot point about australian scientists..in that list of the "X" dot points ill call them (outside the modules), it just seems to be a lot of basic stuff anything else specific we need to know ??

Jase

HSC
Mark Oliphant was Australian. Except he died four years ago. Does that count?

JayWalker

HSC
CrashOveride said:
hmm never even knew about this...can someone clearly outline what exactly we have to know ...

also, have they ever asked anything about this before? any samples etc?

and this is just one dot point about australian scientists..in that list of the "X" dot points ill call them (outside the modules), it just seems to be a lot of basic stuff anything else specific we need to know ??
This was only something that I have heard... I don't believe it has been asked before as the syllabus has been recently ammended, not sure if it has been added or always been lurking there...

tempco

HSC
Does the scientist's area of focus have to be related to the option we're doing?

JayWalker

HSC
Not from what ive heard.. Its general.. not tuaght in either option nor core

snoopwogg

HSC
Has this scientist thing EVER come in any of the past years papers? Unless theres a direct dotpoint in the core or option like in chemistry, i dont think it has ever been asked anywhere.

S

Shuter

If this comes up I'm using my Uncle as an example! He's a practising physists who was doing something with Nuclear Medicene I believe. I can identify sources use to gather information to inculde such methods as "driving round to his house" and "talking to him".

helper

HSC
N/A
Earth had one last year but it corresponded to a dot point. If it comes up it is more likely to be about one of the gather points in the knowledge, and ask how you could use an australian scientist to gather information on this area.

Similarly in bio they have asked students how they gathered information.

Jaywalker, the skills are supposed to be covered somewhere in either the core or option, it wan't added but was ignored

Crash it comes from Module 9.1 which is spread through the other modules.

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
the question came up in on of the trial papers i saw
you had to give an example of the scientist and what he/she did in their field. It was worth four marks.
The question is a hard one to ask as they would have to waste a lot of time verifying the names etc...but u never know lol

helper

HSC
N/A
Leg, you need to think of marking.
Markers are placed in a shed with no communication means. They can't use phones or internet and have around 1 minute a mark. This means it would be impossible to mark.

ashtor

HSC
i rememba sum1 posted up sum notes on d scientist thing can u post it back up? it had a paragraph on about 4 scientists i think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)