Australian Public Service positions (1 Viewer)

Dammit

Hey all,
I finish my course on 10th December so straight after that I'm going to be looking for full time work. Living in Canberra I thought i would try and get a job for the australian public service as i hear they are a bit cushy and pay alright. does anyone have any suggestions, tips for getting jobs, or experiences with working for APS? What do you think of it?

Is there any stuff I need to know? Do you have to take a test before you can be an APS employee? I think i should be looking for jobs which are APS Level 1 to 3 or maybe 4. I only have an Adv Dip in Bus Marketing and a Dip in Bus Management.

I wanna try and get at least 30,000pa if possible because I need to earn about 12 thousand by May '05 so i will be classified as independent to get youth allowance - then i can start full time study again in Semester 2 05. Hopefully uni or Tafe will let me in at semester 2, Ive applied for Bachelor Hotel management @ UC (ft3yrs), and Diploma Music Industry Technical Production @ TAFE (1.5yr ft).

If Public service jobs are prob not suited to me, can someone recommend other types of jobs that will land a 19 year old about 30k pa. Cheers

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Since no one else has answered so far

Not sure about entrance exams, I think they got rid of it.

You will be spending *days* doing applications to get a decent government job if they would consider you qualified for it. I would suggest casual or seasonal work.

Go do a lollypop man course and work for the RTA for a few months, the pay is pretty good standing out in the heat all day twisting the sign.

Do some cotton chipping or other agriculture work, the www.jobsearch.gov.au has a harvest trail section. A lot of uni students make money over summer that way.

Full time government jobs usually have a long lead time.

A casual job will give you more income over a short period of time to show centrelink than a full time one as well.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
common its like an international brutal police force where there is a high probablitiy that u will develop a drug addiction or be harrassed in some manner- then u get to arrest iraqis and kill "terrorists"- dont know about the pay though..try officers training

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thejosiekiller said:
go to uni do a Bsecurity anaylsis and work for asio
Perhaps study for 3 years at Australian Defence Force Academy, then 15 months at Royal Military College, followed by 15 weeks of training at the Defence Intelligence Training Centre at Kokoda Barracks, Canungra, then work for the ASIO, Defence Signals Directorate, or Defence Security Authority.

Perhaps not...
*fart*.

In the 3rd year of ADFA you get paid $28 500pa. Upon commission you'll get well over $30 000pa, plus all sorts of other benefits and allowances.

I'm going to fail my Beep Test at my Officer Selection Board. Oh well. Free flight and free dinner and breakfast.

Last edited:

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Get employed by one of the banks, you have the right sort of qualifications. I work as a Temp bank teller at the moment, and although the hours arent guaranteed, its gone from $22 to $24 an hour. Next year I'll be going full time which is just under $20 an hour. This is me just out of HSC with no formal qualifications. My Brother, who is 20, is just finishing his second year of his degree and got promoted in the bank to a more senior role that pays $45,ooo p.a . Although my bank has a shitty repuation, they look after their staff, it pays well and it gives you oppurtunites to advance your career. Speaking of which, if anyone from NAB Parkville is reading this, I'll be ready for you in February of 2006.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
isnt there like a public gazette website that is meant for people like u- looking for work as public servants?

there other option is to be an MP :)

Edit: just lookout for that website, i forgot what its called

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
thaTS DA ONE! too bad we dont live in camberra
i first went to that site after going through the foreign affairs website :)

ive got a job with dad, he pays me pretty good.
but even though its for a short time and im a big help at work i cant help feeling the need for variety

there should be a tv show- job swap for school leavers.
im thinking of going to biomed tech. nearby vand pose as a student interested in biomed engineering and then ask for a job ;)

i had that idea 4 months ago but whilst walking to it i realised it was a few streets further than i thought it was and turned back

i was lucky coz when i turned around i found someone capable of gaving me a lift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)