Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

The Liberals are popular with me everyday, and thats what counts.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

zimmerman8k said:
Giant Douche v Turd Sandwich, state election should be a good one.

I think the libs will win.
too early to predict. iemma will probably not be there in 2011, and i'd say that bazza's chances of being there are probably only about 60%.

Foxodi

HSC

I choose the Turd Sandwich (liberals right?)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Antony Green notes that Newspoll stuffed up the 2PP figure because that forgot to take into account Optional Preferential Voting. Minor party votes can and will exhaust at the state level. Real figure is something like 54/46.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

victoria and queensland polls out today are both 55-45 to Labor.

Muz4PM

HSC

And after today the Democrats are history (at least for now)

Where to now for the Democrats? They have only one member in all of the Australian parliaments, will they become political history? Or will they make a comeback?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

They haven't won a senate position since 2001. They died long ago and they ain't coming back. They secceded their position to the Greens.

Last day of the coalition senate majority also.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC

Rafy said:
They haven't won a senate position since 2001. They died long ago and they ain't coming back. They secceded their position to the Greens.

Last day of the coalition senate majority also.
Bullshit.

There is still a massive gap in the centre of Australian politics that needs to be filled.

It sure as hell ain't The Greens.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Muz4PM

HSC

Polls have just closed in Gippsland, I predict a Nationals retain, with a small swing to them...maybe.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Smaller booths are in, showing about a 3% swing to the Nats. If the ALP were to win this, you'd expect some sort of swing to them even in the smaller rural booths.
I'm calliing this for the Nationals, with a status quo result or possibly a small swing to them.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-13813-213.htm

EDIT: Antony Green has called it for the Nats.

NATIONALS WIN GIPPSLAND

Swing on 19 booths is 5.5%, so it doesn't look like bigger booths will dampen the swing.

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC

A 5% swing to the Nationals would be a welcome present for them, considering that had they lost Gippsland they would only have one federal seat in Victoria left and diminish their voice in the joint party room even further.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

The National Party has declared victory in the Gippsland by-election.

Nationals leader Warren Truss declared candidate Darren Chester the winner of the federal Victorian seat just before 8pm (AEST) Saturday, two hours after polls closed.

At last count Mr Chester had 62.2 per cent of the two-party preferred vote, with 65 per cent of overall votes counted.

Labor candidate Darren McCubbin had 37.8 per cent of the vote.

The early result represents a 6.3 per cent swing to the National Party.
http://news.smh.com.au/national/nationals-claim-victory-in-gippsland-20080628-2yc3.html

Muz4PM

HSC

Antony Green now projects about a 7.3% swing to the Nationals. An excellent result for them as I said earlier. For them to more than double their margin in this seat I think comes down to more than simply local issues and highlights that the lustre has well and truely worn off Kevin Rudd and his government. All the Coalition might need to do now is to find someone who will exploit that a little better...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Quite an amazing result for the Nationals. Rudd's honeymoon is well and truely over.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

NSW Labor is very tired. We had no right to win last year, but did - that was the only point worth celebrating. But the broader view is that the Federation is broken - there has to be some crucial referendums implementing constitutional reform more in line with the US.

Labor's candidate for Gippsland was a joke imo - a giddy school girl. In contrast the National's candidate was surprisingly good. One to keep an eye on.
I find it hard to believe that the performance of the Federal government was very significant. THe Libs also contested for the first time, so that no doubt accounted for a good deal of the swing against Labor

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

You dont think that there are Liberal voters who would preference Labor aheah of the Nationals?
Wets

Muz4PM

HSC

Really, the by-election result was more a rebuff of Kevin Rudd's current governing then it is about the suitability of Chester or McCubbin. Whilst the profile of Chester within the electorate would have assisted him, I don't believe that would simply equate to a 6.5% swing and any attempts to try and paint the swing simply on the merits of either candidate are just futile attempts at spin.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)