Australian patient confididetiality question (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
For an 18 year old who has injured them self in another state, can the parents of the person view or gain access to the medical record of that particular injury?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, it depends on what state it was and the laws of that state.

So you have to give us more info. (and it was you... wasn't it)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, it depends on what state it was and the laws of that state.

So you have to give us more info. (and it was you... wasn't it)
Over 18 = Adult. Has complete right to confidentiality anywhere in Australia. As far as the medical profession is concerned your parents don't exist. It's entirely a matter between you and your doctor.

In NSW the right is extended to anybody 16+

Records can only be disclosed with the patient's consent.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Over 18 = Adult. Has complete right to confidentiality anywhere in Australia. As far as the medical profession is concerned your parents don't exist. It's entirely a matter between you and your doctor.

note to self: read the first few words of op next time

LonelyWolf

HSC

will the report be permanently on my medical record? Also, can any doctor i see in the future view the report?

---

I received stitching for a 5mm deep blow to my forehead, illegal substances were still in my system at the time and I had to tell them what it was - that is what I was trying to get at.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Medical records are the property of the medical practitioner who created them. No other doctor can view them without your consent. (They won't even know they exist unless you tell them) There's no central 'medical record'. A separate record is kept by every practitioner you visit.

As to how long they are kept, that is also up to the medical practitioner who created them. Legally they must be kept for 7 years after your last consultation/treatment from that practioner. Some doctors will cull records after this time, many keep them indefinitely.

Last edited:

Jaymay

HSC
HHAHAHA
Someone got fucked up in Schoolies, and fell face first on a hammer :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)