Australian Music Centre and other Aust. Art music things (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
I thought this merited to be up there again, might PM a mod to get it stickied

Like ujuphleg metnioned in a post in another music, if one does not live in Sydney, one can ring/email them at the centre, and for a postage price negotiated, get anything sent to one's address, be it in Taree, Lismore, or Vladivostok. So yeah, this place is a heaven, so they can spread its heavenly joy those outside Syd :D

Link to their info on how to contact ---> http://www.amcoz.com.au/cent-cont.htm

Hope it's useful.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
thanks Chepas!! I actually PMed anti and asked her to sticky this thread, but she didn't, she stickied everything else :( I think its very useful information (hence why i started the thread in the first place) and its relevant to all Music 2 and Music Extension students, which from the poll, most of us in here are.

If any of you here haven't at least been to the site yet, i strongly recommend you do. Of course, if you have all your selected works and core piece then thats fine. But if you don't, you should get yourself down to the AMC this holidays or contact them for scores/information whatever. it is THE place to go if you need ANY help on Australian Music (besides BoS of course! :p)

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's the old Earth Exchange building. It's now called the Arts Exchange, and it's also home to the SYO&AYO offices, Sydney Festival, and a few other things.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
chepas said:
Compo - Elective and Compo - Extension (compo for elective veeery bad decision!!! Too much composition everywhere!).
I did that. 4 compositions. New Year 12's, don't do it if you're intending to sleep this year.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i would just like to share with evryone that my AMC membership expired 2 days ago. Thank you.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If you become a member of the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society (for just $10), we can offer you a $5 discount on your AMC membership as well.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Eclectic..... does that mean you have to write eclectic stuff?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No, we have composers who write in many different styles. Some of us are more atonal than others. Some of us do really well in electronic music. That's why we have done two electronic concerts this year, and a third on the 17th of November.

chepas

HSC
trumpet geek said:
i would just like to share with evryone that my AMC membership expired 2 days ago. Thank you.
Profound. Nice timing though, after HSC. Mine expires next April/May I think.

Phanatical said:
No, we have composers who write in many different styles. Some of us are more atonal than others.
Do you still have composers that submit themselves to 'traditional' tonality? :D.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yes. I happen to be a strict tonal writer. I can't bear atonality, much less alternate tuning systems like Just Intonation and microtonality, because I happen to have perfect pitch, and it drives me insane.

There's a reason why many different musical cultures have equal temperment. Chinese music, which is as distinct from western music as you can get, is built around an octave divided into 12 notes of equal temperment. That's because the tuning systems we have work.

chepas

HSC
Phanatical said:
because I happen to have perfect pitch, and it drives me insane
Yeah me too - I really hate it when in music notated to a certain key, iand t's pitch in a recording is actually a semitone up or down from what is written on the page. One case of this I notice is on certain recordings of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier - eg some recordings have it pitched a semitone lower so that the Cminor Prelude/Fugue is actually sounded at Bminor, and I have no idea why this is, considering these are excecises in exploiting this lovely tonal system! Unless it has/had to do with the tuning of the actual clavichord/harpsichord etc...? :mad:

Phanatical said:
Yes. I happen to be a strict tonal writer.
Ahh, comforting :). Good to see that tonality is still in vogue as well then... :D

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's called Baroque pitch, and at the time everything was played a semitone lower than it is now. The reason an A is at 440 instead of 428 now is because orchestras have been pushing it higher little by little to make the sound more "bright". Some orchestras now play at A442.

chepas

HSC
Ah k... cheers for that! Makes sense now (to me), now there's a reason!

It is really desirable to have a bright(er) sound? Because surely music that is written in and for a much more darker tone-colour/sound till wants to portray it that way?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
um... i dont really have perfect pitch but it annoys me when we play the Dminor version of Dvoraks New World Symphony in concert band because it just sounds wrong.... its ok to listen to it but when you try to play it, it feels soooo wrong!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
In China, the orchestras tune to A445. (its painful if you have perfect pitch)

chepas

HSC
Phanatical said:
That's just the way it is.
Damn the status quo!!! :p

trumpet geek said:
it annoys me when we play the Dminor version of Dvoraks New World Symphony in concert band because it just sounds wrong
Yer. Exactly! A recording of Smetana's Vltava now that I think about it must have been tuned slightly lower as it just sounded so horrible.

I never realised it was such a phenomenon, not basing tuning on A = 440... (well, 'phenomenon'.....).

ujuphleg said:
In China, the orchestras tune to A445. (its painful if you have perfect pitch)
Wow....!

That'd sound like almost what they do to movies and TV shows that come from NTSC tv systems in America to PAL systems over here - the pitch just goes wacko cos everything sped up X%, and it is really annoying esp in musicals and stuff with big music scores (like the odd Simpsons song :D).

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
woo hoo, just visited AMC for the first time, very informative found lots of cool info needed for my upcoming assessment task. and yes i agree with all, the view from the male toilets is AMAZING lol. it was great as i am the only male in my class and i was boasting about the view to my class mates :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)