• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Islamic School BANS Australian National Anthem (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
There's a difference between not playing the national anthem and declaring that you will NOT play it.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
JaredR said:
There's a difference between not playing the national anthem and declaring that you will NOT play it.
Exactly. They did the first one, not the second, so this thread is moot.

Josip Broz Tito said:
They should ban muslims from wearing scarves, the same way that the Netherlands has.
When Muslims wear headscarves, the hijab or burqa you cannot tell if they are a woman or a man. An terrorist could readily use this cloth of gender camouflage to its advantage by hiding their weapons underneath it.
Apparently most Australians support Muslims being allowed to wear their scarves in schools. Personally I think they should be banned in educational institutions and government offices, as they are in Turkey. I can see how that might inflame Islamic radicalism though, and it's not like we have a problem with that here, as they do in Turkey. Probably better to just let sleeping dogs lie and leave it to assimilation.

HSC
N/A
Trefoil Apparently most Australians support Muslims being allowed to wear their scarves in schools. Personally I think they should be banned in educational institutions and government offices said:
I do not know why they support it...fucking ridiculous. But I agree with your statement 100%

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i agree with that. it leaves a danger of pushing of the boundaries of what is classed as 'just under religious beliefs or culture' just as josip and trefoil said.

i think too big a deal is being made over this. australian's dont even feel patriotic about our national anthem anyway. pulling someone else up for not putting rigourous emphasis on it would be a complete double standard.

Wheelbarrows

Banned
HSC
omg, i go 2 dis skool and dey didnt ban anyfin. we still play the anfem every day and even lyk in the afternoon sometymes the princibal likes to play it when were walking home!

dis article is bullshit!

i cant beive ppl believe dis. we play lots of anfems. sometimes, we hav anfems playing all day! of lyk evry contry in da world!

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
gibbo153 said:
australian's dont even feel patriotic about our national anthem anyway.
Most people I know actually do. Just in that unique, modest Australian way where you kind of like it but don't pay much attention to it, and won't praise it, until somebody significantly disparages it.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm i think patriotic was the wrong word. i spose its just the australian way of being patriotic about it though. but at our school (which is goverment), the national anthem is sort of just euphymistic activity, in that we sing it at assemblys but talking and nonsense during it is not uncommon.

yeah i guess thats not an absence of patriotism, just general childish behaviour. when i think about it if someone proposed we didnt do it anymore just because some don't take it seriously, everyone would disagree and want to keep singing it.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
What's to be patriotic about?

It's a song about the British empire written by a Scottish-born man that only became our national anthem 30 years ago

:fish:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm australians typically aren't the ones to be patriotic for a reason, as trefoil said, people would just be incredibly defensive of it

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Will Shakespear said:

It's a song about the British empire written by a Scottish-born man that only became our national anthem 30 years ago

Yeah but you're the same dolt who can't seem to identify any culture in Australia. Great job, mate.

impervious182

HSC
Will Shakespear said:

It doesn't matter who wrote it.

Do I have to remind people that it is still our national anthem? This isn't about whether or not people like the song or not; it's about what the song represents.

It's supposed to represent the unity of Australia, be an expression of how much we appreciate the land and how proud we are to be Australian. It essentially, is symbollic of the hardship the country has gone through and overcome as a nation.

It's not the music; it's what it represents and to be quite honest, I'm surprised peple even needed reminding of that.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
alexdore993 said:
It doesn't matter who wrote it.

Do I have to remind people that it is still our national anthem? This isn't about whether or not people like the song or not; it's about what the song represents.

It's supposed to represent the unity of Australia, be an expression of how much we appreciate the land and how proud we are to be Australian. It essentially, is symbollic of the hardship the country has gone through and overcome as a nation.

It's not the music; it's what it represents and to be quite honest, I'm surprised peple even needed reminding of that.
Respect the flag, respect the anthem!

zstar

HSC
N/A
Seriously I went to a damn Catholic school and we never sang the damn Australian anthem or even saluted the flag.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
everyone ignores the guy who posted from the school xD

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
clintmyster said:
everyone ignores the guy who posted from the school xD
Thats because he sounds like a total, uneducated idiot...so either a troll or a fool, either way not worth paying attention to

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
Thats because he sounds like a total, uneducated idiot...so either a troll or a fool, either way not worth paying attention to
agreed. also i'm allergic to excessive internet slang.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Trefoil said:
Yeah but you're the same dolt who can't seem to identify any culture in Australia. Great job, mate.
insecure bogan detected

australia has plenty of culture - thanks to its european & asian immigrants

rasengan90

HSC
This whole thing sounds insane. All they did was stop singing the anthem every morning, at my school we were lucky to sing it twice a term. I detect double standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)