• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Drama - Dramatic Traditions in Australia (1 Viewer)

choirboy

HSC
Hey

um im just wanting a little bit of help.
has anybody got say a list of themes or maybe some good websites or anything for:

Ray Lawler's - Summer of the 17th Doll
or
David Williamsons - The Removalists

im just finding it a little bit tough going.
any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
:wave:

*Drama-Queen*

HSC
Well in the case of Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, I would go with themes such as idealism, aging, maturity, the notion of change and Australian identity.

Some helpful websites for me have been:

http://www.hat-archive.com/summerofthe17thdoll.htm

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=940DE7DC1039F933A05754C0A96E948260

On the topic of The Removalists, unfortunately my school isn’t doing that play but I’m sure the themes are along the lines of power and authority.

Here are some notes I’ve made/collected/been provided with about The Doll hope they help.

Last edited:

ravenmorr

HSC
hey anyone got anygood site or information for 7 stages pf grieving & ruby moon?

Ruthie_huegill

HSC
My school is doing The Removalists and i found it really hard to find any good website that has information on it.

Some of the themes we have dicussed in class that Williamson uses in The Removalists are:

Police Corruption
Violence
Sexism
Ignorance
Conflict

Williamson wanted to write a play that represented the worse parts of Australian culture. It is a confronting play because of the level and violence and language it contains but i found it quite entertaining and easy to write essays on becasue so many different techniques and themes are used and they are represented beautifully.

Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)