Australia: The Queen and the Republic Debate (1 Viewer)

Should Australia become a republic?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Existential

HSC
N/A
Since the Queens' holiday is here, i think it's fitting to ask:

Are you

pro or anti

REPUBLIC

for Australia

and why?

evatt

HSC
if you are referring to the poll so far, than yes.

why is nobody voting "no"? lol, too scared?
however monarchists want to sugar-coat it, the present system is one where by a foreign, non-elected sovereign can essentially dictate whether our laws are passed or not.

simple enough, its fucked, though the queen is a tip top gal

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think it would be a good idea but it is very low on my priority list.

Lentern

HSC
How many times have you observed this debate rise and fall at this place? You can surely tell us all how it ends already?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
How many times have you observed this debate rise and fall at this place? You can surely tell us all how it ends already?
If I've learned anything in the last half-decade it is that debate is worth having and new people debating old issues might not be valuable to old people (us) but is to them.

Oh and bar some notable exceptions the conclusion and potential circle-jerk will be that we should have a republic, experience says the bigger debate is the type of President we have and probably a 50-50 split between a USA style and G-G with a different title.

In the past I have certainly favoured the latter, but more recently I think a separate executive would be good:
- Checks and balances
- Take the 'presidential-style' out of elections for the legislature
- Help break strict party/factional control structures

Existential

HSC
N/A
No i want my holiday mother fuckers
i'm pretty sure there would be a holiday for a republican Australia anyway.
however monarchists want to sugar-coat it, the present system is one where by a foreign, non-elected sovereign can essentially dictate whether our laws are passed or not.

i agree with the bold, and think it's positively weird.
it's low on everyone's priority list - at least until the queen dies.
i can't imagine australia following a king. when the queen dies (and she will, she's human) there will be a strong surge of republicanism that will be difficult even for the monarchists to counter.

Lentern

HSC
If I've learned anything in the last half-decade it is that debate is worth having and new people debating old issues might not be valuable to old people (us) but is to them.

Oh and bar some notable exceptions the conclusion and potential circle-jerk will be that we should have a republic, experience says the bigger debate is the type of President we have and probably a 50-50 split between a USA style and G-G with a different title.

In the past I have certainly favoured the latter, but more recently I think a separate executive would be good:
- Checks and balances
- Take the 'presidential-style' out of elections for the legislature
- Help break strict party/factional control structures
Oh please don't think I meant to sneer, was saying for a Bos veteran yourself you must have an avuncular smile on your face as you see the debating cycle repeat itself.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yea but then we cant rip up the commonwealth games cuz we wouldnt be in the commmonwealth anymore (i think thats the rule right....)
I think ex-Commonwealth countries and countries whose goals match those of the Commonwealth can still participate.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't care but I'm in no rush for it, so I voted no.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC

you're an idiot

no they can't

governor general gives royal assent unless the bill says otherwise (and they never do these days)

Australia sovereignty lies in Australia under the current system so what's the problem?

i voted no btw

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Oh please don't think I meant to sneer, was saying for a Bos veteran yourself you must have an avuncular smile on your face as you see the debating cycle repeat itself.
No sneer intended. You are right and I was being semi tongue in cheek :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)