Australia and South Africa finalists to build world's most powerful space telescope (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
AUSTRALIA and New Zealand have made a joint bid to host the world's most powerful radio telescope, a $2.5 billion device which could one day help unlock the secrets of the universe.

The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) - which would be capable of monitoring an area of more than one million square metres - has been lauded as one of the globe's most important science projects.

It would see 4000 individual radio telescopes set up across both countries, from Western Australia to the east coast of New Zealand, working as one to create a single deep space listening device.

Scientists believe the array has a discovery potential 10,000 times greater than current instruments.

And some of the questions it could help answer?

The existence of Earth-like planets and the possibility of alien life, how the stars were formed and exactly what happened after the big bang to name a few.

It will also explore the evolution of cosmic magnetism and what part it played in the birth of stars and galaxies, as well as testing gravitational pulls in space.

Australia and New Zealand are down to the final two potential locations, with South Africa also fighting for the rights to the project.

They have already beat out Argentina, China and the United States.

The array - widely expected to be the most powerful telescope of its kind - has been the subject of discussion in the global community since 1991, and will be jointly funded by the 19 partner countries involved in the project.

Science Minister Kim Carr and New Zealand's Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee announced the bid in Sydney today as the culmination of year-long discussions.

The project would have untold benefits for both countries, Senator Carr said.

"If our bid is successful, the SKA will not only significantly increase Australia's and New Zealand's scientific capabilities, it will result in economic benefits and spinoffs in a number of areas, including supercomputing, data transmission, renewable energy, construction and manufacturing," he said.

Mr Brownlee said the array promised to be the top global science project of the 21st Century.

A final decision on the host location is not expected until 2012.
This baby will be about 100 times more sensitive than any existing ground telescope, and Australia + New Zealand have managed to outmanoeuvre America and China for the right to build it in their backyard. It will also come with one of the world's fastest supercomputers, which Australia could certainly use more of.

It's pretty sweet. I hope those Sith Ifricken bastards lose. :sun:

The case for Australia building it: SKA

The case for Sith Ifricka: Untitled Document

If you ask me, Australia clearly has the upper hand.

Tangent

HSC
Re: Australia and South Africa finalists to build world's most powerful space telesco

I think we have got it in the bag too. We have everything SA has got and more. The problem with this is going to be that the telescopes have to be built in the middle of nowhere.

What would this mean for Australia?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Re: Australia and South Africa finalists to build world's most powerful space telesco

I think we have got it in the bag too. We have everything SA has got and more. The problem with this is going to be that the telescopes have to be built in the middle of nowhere.

Why is that a problem? That's why Australia is a finalist in the first place! :p

Regardless of where it's located in Australia, the technological and economic benefits still exist, no?

Also, because it'll span from Western Australia to New Zealand it'll apparently have a resolution about 4 times better than a South African version. Booyeah.

BigBoyJames_

Banned
HSC
N/A

lol we are competing with south africa. fucking lol

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC

Yeah, we'll get it. Feel bad for the springbok's though, their economy needs the boost a lot more than ours does.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Uh, dude, that's the whole point. It has to be built in the middle of nowhere to avoid radio noise from cities.

It's a big boost to our "scientific economy".

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

And I'm so thrilled about this. I took part in the project that did a lot of the backround work for this (Students Exploring Australia's Radio Frequency Environment aka SEARFE - google it and you'll see a picture of me in the newspaper, lol), so I am so happy that it's finally coming to fruition (and come on, it's pretty much guaranteed we'll get it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)