• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Aus Open (1 Viewer)

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
YBK said:
yeah... right

:D

I bet ur tennis does not involve any running :rofl:
oh, yeah - real funny. go check out some junior tournaments some time, how many matches they're sometimes required to play in one day. there are plenty of kids who'll spend most of their saturday competing down at the courts.

and theres always plenty of running to enjoy. :p

Last edited:

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
SSaint said:
oh, yeah - real funny. go check out some junior tournaments some time, how many matches they're sometimes required to play in one day. there are plenty of kids who'll spend most of their saturday competing down at the courts.
But that is not world class level.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
The Bagdatis story reminds me another unseeded 20 year old, by the name of Carlos Moyam run to the Australian Open final in '97, he beat defending champion Becker in the 1st round and then beat a bunch of players Chang etc, he shouldn't have beat. Moya then faced world no.1 and heavy favourite Pete Sampras in the final, just as Baggy will most probably face Fed. And even though Moya lost, it signalled his arrival and all and he won Roland Garros the next year (Although he hasn't won a Slam since :( )

And it is so stupid to compare juniors tournaments to the best players in the world competing at grand slam level. Anyone who knows anything about tennis knows that tennis is an extremely tough sport and form is integral, and small factors at such an elite level such as racquet tension can impact on a players performance, something that wouldn't really affect the average player.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
SSaint said:
obviously not. But as you said, they are pros, they're a lot fitter than us.
And as I said, they are still human; fitness can only go so far.

Imagine Federer having 5 set matches since day 1; he won't perform his best in the final, obviously.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'd like to see how Federer goes tonight against Kiefer, I think Baghdatis will be better rested, with 3 full days, compared to Federer with 2 days to rest. Baghdatis definitely has had much tougher and grueling matches from the start of the tournament so it should be interesting how fresh the two are if they are both in the final.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
Sweets said:
And it is so stupid to compare juniors tournaments to the best players in the world competing at grand slam level. Anyone who knows anything about tennis knows that tennis is an extremely tough sport and form is integral, and small factors at such an elite level such as racquet tension can impact on a players performance, something that wouldn't really affect the average player.
of course you can't compare junior tennis to grand slams, just highlighting that three hours isn't that big a deal - and add to that two nights rest before your next match, though to some extent it would be taxing upon the player, especially over a two week period. a prime example will be kiefer tonight, he's had it tough, real tough, add that to his injury scare at kooyong, he might have a problem. though the way federer is playing, he totally has a chance to win, and i'm going for him, and so is my $10 :p

YBK said:
And as I said, they are still human; fitness can only go so far.

Imagine Federer having 5 set matches since day 1; he won't perform his best in the final, obviously.
you're totally right

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Federer hasn't had all easy matches, he had to fight back to Tommy Haas, which could have easily gone the other way. However, Baghdatis has had pretty much all 4+ setters from his early matches up to the final. But then again, 3 days is sufficient time to rest in my opinion.

P

pLuvia

Looks like Keifer and Federer are having a pretty good match together

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
is it just me or does that baghdatis guy look a bit like federer?

with more facial hair lol .. and a wider grin ... oh and fans akin to those from the English Premier League

karoooh

HSC
LOL

It's not just you! YAY! Federer and Baghdatis! You guys know I love Federer, but this time, I'm going for the unseeded player! Baghdatis all the way!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
is it just me or does that baghdatis guy look a bit like federer?
I think it's just you, they look completely different to me. :lol:

Wow so Federer's into the final with Baghdatis!! Exactly what I anticipated! :D

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Riviet said:
I think it's just you, they look completely different to me. :lol:

Wow so Federer's into the final with Baghdatis!! Exactly what I anticipated! :D
yay!! What was the score for the last set with Keifer? close or total thrashing?

karoooh

HSC
He doesn't look like Federer, but there's something about Baghdatis that reminds me of Federer!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
yay!! What was the score for the last set with Keifer? close or total thrashing?
6-2 I think, so pretty much a thrashing in last two sets. But 6-0 is absolute thrashing! XD

P

pLuvia

yeh ahha, Federer had only been broken once throughout the match right? if I heard correctly

Riviet

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
yeh ahha, Federer had only been broken once throughout the match right? if I heard correctly
Yeah, that was in the 2nd, the one set he lost.

Not a long match though, only 4 sets.

P

pLuvia

Oh wells, it's going to be interesting between Federer and Baghdatis. I'd wouldn't be surprised if Baghdatis wins :D

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'm sure all his fans would love him to take the championship! ... I mean it would certainly make history for Cyprus and all the lebanese communities. I'm so happy for him and all his support people and his girlfriend. :)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
IMO streaks should keep on going. Federer is unbeaten in his 6 matches in grand slam finals - I don't think anyone has done better, not in the open era anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)