aus man (douglas wood) being held hostage in iraq? (1 Viewer)

sugared plum

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
They are just like any other Australia. They get welfare. They CAN get a job. I mentioned the aboriginals in Alice Springs before. They sit in a dry creek bed all day and night drinking wine directly from a cask and doing nothing. Thats their choice they aren't forced to do it.

They do not have to live in isolation and in third world conditions. They choose to.
myth- aboriginal people get heaps of centrelink payments and are dole bludgers
fact- aboriginal people are among the most often rejected by centrelink, for administrative things by not filling the form out correctly, and constitute about the smallest group of people who successfully appeal their rejection from centrelink.

aboriginal people are not jsut like every other australian. for the last 200 years colonists and white society have persecuted, exterminated, assimilated, these people.

equality needs to be effective rather than formal.
for example, aboriginal people since the 1970s are allowed to vote. that it formal equality. but there are few polling booths, information about enrolling, etc and so effectively, many aboriginal people cannot vote.

white australia cannot treat a group of people as second class citizens for almost 200 years, and then expect everything will be okay if they just say, you're not second class citizens.
the injustices need to be rectified.

many aboriginal people, as anthropological studies have shown, do not want to sit in the dirtr drinking cask wine. but any kind of alternative is far from being attainable. it is the responsibility of the government of australia, which relegated aboriginal people to this position, to rectify the situation. and this involves more than a measly centrelink payment every 2 weeks.

tattoodguy

Plum is right, its not just 200 years ago that we stole their land, since then until now we have treated them like shit and the payments we make to them are insignificant.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
sugared plum said:
myth- aboriginal people get heaps of centrelink payments and are dole bludgers
fact- aboriginal people are among the most often rejected by centrelink, for administrative things by not filling the form out correctly, and constitute about the smallest group of people who successfully appeal their rejection from centrelink.

aboriginal people are not jsut like every other australian. for the last 200 years colonists and white society have persecuted, exterminated, assimilated, these people.

equality needs to be effective rather than formal.
for example, aboriginal people since the 1970s are allowed to vote. that it formal equality. but there are few polling booths, information about enrolling, etc and so effectively, many aboriginal people cannot vote.

white australia cannot treat a group of people as second class citizens for almost 200 years, and then expect everything will be okay if they just say, you're not second class citizens.
the injustices need to be rectified.

many aboriginal people, as anthropological studies have shown, do not want to sit in the dirtr drinking cask wine. but any kind of alternative is far from being attainable. it is the responsibility of the government of australia, which relegated aboriginal people to this position, to rectify the situation. and this involves more than a measly centrelink payment every 2 weeks.
Aboriginals have the same opportunities as any other person. Being aboriginal in no way makes them unable to function like a normal person.

And as I keep saying the aboriginals lost their land because it was taken by them from a more developed civilisation. Thats how the world worked and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't apply todays morals to back then and expect people to go back and right the wrongs because when it happened it wasn't wrong.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Korn said:
iamsick has a limited point about Aboriginals getting free access to education as evident by these scholarships:

Reconciliation Scholarship UWS
Thats just university education. There is also public school which is free. But the simple fact is most aboriginal kids just don't go because their parents don't make them. Real good way to improve their situation.

Generator

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
And as I keep saying the aboriginals lost their land because it was taken by them from a more developed civilisation. Thats how the world worked and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't apply todays morals to back then and expect people to go back and right the wrongs because when it happened it wasn't wrong.
Look into the idea of terra nullius, iamsickofyear12. Please, just try and at least have some idea as to what you are talking about when you hit the reply button.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Generator said:
Look into the idea of terra nullius, iamsickofyear12. Please, just try and at least have some idea as to what you are talking about when you hit the reply button.
I know what it means. No matter how you say it the aboriginals lost their land and thats just too bad.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Generator said:
If the British hadn't claimed Terra Nullius, but instead based the colony on conquest then none of this who-har would exist would it? Thats what I worked out in a lecture once

Comrade nathan

HSC
You can't apply todays morals to back then and expect people to go back and right the wrongs because when it happened it wasn't wrong.
No, but we can apply todays social science to back then. We can identify problems of today with origins 200 years ago.

Also like to note their are morals of the populace, who were poorerly educated, then there were some educated people. Many Christian leaders of the time morals conflicted with the morals of the government and the populace.

So we can use the examples of a few to criticise the government on brutality and genoicide.

Note: It seems in the 20th centuary the Communist Party of Australia were so far ahead they knew what was going on was wrong.

Comrade nathan

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
if it was possible i would just withdraw, they let him go, then attack again lol, but i don't think they will do that
Some one on Tripple J said the same thing.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
if it was possible i would just withdraw, they let him go, then attack again lol, but i don't think they will do that
That was my plan too

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
how this discussion got to Aboriginies, i dont wanna know.

anyways, im hoping mr wood gets freed- i think he will!

lateline says that the group has never killed anyone yet (from what we know)
but thats because all of them were from the region (eg: Turkey etc)

the gov sent its people there. how they're going to be of any help, i have no idea. probably the're going to bribe the terrorists just like that secret undercover italian agent who secured the italian hostage (and later got killed himself by the Americans)

Edit: for some reason, i have a feeling that Sheikh Al-hilali will have more chances of success than the AFP :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
mr EaZy said:

anyways, im hoping mr wood gets freed- i think he will!

lateline says that the group has never killed anyone yet (from what we know)
but thats because all of them were from the region (eg: Turkey etc)

the gov sent its people there. how they're going to be of any help, i have no idea. probably the're going to bribe the terrorists just like that secret undercover italian agent who secured the italian hostage (and later got killed himself by the Americans)

Edit: for some reason, i have a feeling that Sheikh Al-hilali will have more chances of success than the AFP :)
Obviously the Sheikh will have more influence as they should respect him otherwise they arent real muslims are they? (i dont know cause im not an expert on islam)

Comrade nathan

HSC
Someone was complaining that the Australian government should allways look out for australians. I said they don't take full responisibility here and used Aboriginals as an reason.

I was to stupid to no think there might be overely racist individuals in this forum. so the example turned into a whole lot of crap.

Obviously the Sheikh will have more influence as they should respect him otherwise they arent real muslims are they?
I wouldn't put much faith on that.

There are many different streams in Islam towards imperialism.

The Sheikh does not want to look like he is coming off as a yankee supporter. The best he can do is assure that the man will leave Iraq and he nor his family will have anything to do with Iraq in the future.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Someone was complaining that the Australian government should allways look out for australians. I said they don't take full responisibility here and used Aboriginals as an reason.

I was to stupid to no think there might be overely racist individuals in this forum. so the example turned into a whole lot of crap.

I wouldn't put much faith on that.

There are many different streams in Islam towards imperialism.

The Sheikh does not want to look like he is coming off as a yankee supporter. The best he can do is assure that the man will leave Iraq and he nor his family will have anything to do with Iraq in the future.
I was stupid enough to think that no one would support the "iraqi resistance" *cough* probably 3% of the country, backed by maybe 20% *cough* that is stopping iraq from being a much more peaceful place to live. Support the American invasion or not, support for these people is anti-everyday Iraqi's.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Comrade nathan said:

I was the one that was saying that and I am also the one that doesn't like aboriginals. Just because I am the only one on this forum with that opinion doesn't make me wrong. And I am not racist either. The aboriginals have proved themselves inferior I'm not just making it up.

Generator

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
And I am not racist either. The aboriginals have proved themselves inferior I'm not just making it up.
You're a true hero, iamsickofyear12. If only we were all as informed as you.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Generator said:
You're a true hero, iamsickofyear12. If only we were all as informed as you.
I am well informed. I just make a different conclusion from that information than other people do.

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
yea bad for the family but john howard dosn't really care. If it was one of his family like his wife that was taken hostage he most probley do what the terriost want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)