Attractive couples have girls, says expert (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Attractive couples have girls, says expert

Attractive couples have girls, says expert
Shelley Emling in London
August 5, 2006

WHEN Hollywood's golden couple, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, had their first child, it was a girl. When Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes had a baby, and Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin had a baby, they were also girls.

Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Research from the London School of Economics indicates "physically attractive" couples are 36 per cent more likely than unattractive couples to produce a girl as their first child.

[continued - see link]

live.fast

HSC
N/A
' Research from the London School of Economics ' for a scientific thing? whaackkayy

and the statistics are more like
of all the 'physically attractive' couples they questioned, 36% had a girl as their first child

- there's a big differnece in da wording

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
"Standards of beauty are both innate and culturally universal, and everybody agrees on who is beautiful and who is ugly just like they agree on who is tall and who is short," he said.
So thats why I think Tom Cruise looks weird and unnatractive - its an innate property that everyone agrees on...:rolleyes:

gerhard

HSC
i havent read the report or the article, but in psych studies that involve attractiveness in some way, they usually ask a separate group of people to rank the attractiveness of all the faces out of 10 or whatever.

endofdroad

HSC
i think sum1 is ugly (generator) not that im trying 2 point out names (generator) lol. i think sum1z just jealous that they aint attractive!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The article says 56%... which isn't that significantly over half (factor in statistical errors etc).

I reckon couples are more likely to have boys when the female partner is more attractive, and more likely to have girls when the male partner is more attractive. from what i've observed anyways

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I was going to say that I watched this like documentry on like 'pretty people' and that babies are more likely to pick a face that is more symmetrical then a face taht is more nonsymmetrical. but then i realised, just cos your face is more symmetrical doesnt mean youre pretty :eek::eek::eek:

so not really related..

but yeh im sure there is a way or like equation to figure out if youre pretty or not.

..no im not sure at all actually.. :(

turtleface

HSC
ahaha this is so stupid
The article says 56%... which isn't that significantly over half (factor in statistical errors etc).
i agree, plus also theres always been more girl births than boys

Wonder who determines if they are "physically attractive"
lol must be the economists...

' Research from the London School of Economics ' for a scientific thing? whaackkayy
econometricians do this statistical analysis, which is why its come from the LSE

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I remembered a lesson at school.. or somewhere.

A sperm contains only one half of the gene, all 23 chromosome but only one copy.

The sperms with a Y 23rd chromosome can swim faster than sperms with a X 23rd chromosome.

However, there is a disadvantage in having the Y chromosome in that the sperm would die out quicker leaving only the X's.

You would think all sperms are practically equal...

malkin86

HSC
I remember reading that deep sea diver fathers were also more likely to have girls.. Something to do with X sperm being more fit than Y sperm in deep sea conditions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)