Attraction between parallel current carrying conductors (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Now, I know wires carrying current in the SAME direction will attract, and wires carrying current in OPPOSITE directions will repel. But I have no idea why...anyone care to explain? thanks

lepellillow

HSC
if you use the right hand grip rule to work out the magnetic fields surrounding them it's easy to figure out
kinda difficult to type up actually now that i'm trying lol but if you do the grip rule around wires carrying current in same direction, between the two wires the magnetic field from one comes out of page and from other into page so they attract
if they are in opposite directions the magnetic field between the two wires either both comes out, or both into the page and they repel

i hope that makes sense it's really hard to explain without diagrams

bazookie

HSC
ok draw two lines on a page. Now make the top one with current going to the left and the one on the bottom going to the right.

Use the right hand grip rule on both of them and draw the magnetic field going into the page and out of the page i.e the line on the top will have field lines going into the page above the line and magnetic field going out of the page on the bottom.

Now, use your right hand palm/push rule and look at the direction of the forces. You shall see that they repel. =]

dolbinau

HSC
Thanks, got it - I guess a diagram will be easiest to explain in exam.

Last edited:

susanrose

HSC
N/A
the magnetic fields surrounding the wires oppose when they're going opposite directions - you use that right hand twist rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)