Attn all french cont. Students! (1 Viewer)

kroiston

HSC
do you think it would be easy to pick up french cont. if you have never done french, ever?
do you think if someone had enough motivation they could pick it up and do well?
does it start with a basic thing first and then move into harder stuff or does it assume youve done french in junior school?

please wb soon.
thanksssss.

hecheeseman

HSC
I wouldn't advise doing it. we aren't allowed at our school. I honestly don't think it would be possible to do well if you haven't done it in junior school.
If you still want to do french tho, you can do french beginners which is all of the basic stuff and for people who haven't done french but want to pick it up.

hope_williams

HSC
I agree- french continuers is just that, a continuers course. Why don't you take french beginners instead? it is written as a course for beginners? I've heard it's a great course as well.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I agree- french continuers is just that, a continuers course. Why don't you take french beginners instead? it is written as a course for beginners? I've heard it's a great course as well.
because most likely he wants a subject that will scale well

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Yeah, not a good idea. So much basic grammar and vocab that you will have missed out on.

HSC
i agree with everyone else... we have a girl in or class who picked up french in year ten and she has enough trouble

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
is there a particular reason you want to do continuers? beginners is a good course too. if you want to develop more advanced skills, wait till after the hsc, or learn it by yourself whilst doing beginners.

jess39

HSC
Are you learning another language as well? If you are, and you are good at it (by 'good' I mean, you're sort of a natural at languages) then it might be possible. I still expect that it would be very difficult. You should do beginners. That's why it's called beginners. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just for beginners. :)

And doing beginners and getting a great mark will scale better than doing continuers and not doing very well at all because you don't have a grasp on any of the grammar or anything.

To answer your last question, no, it doesn't really start with basics. I mean, your teacher might. But I've found that the course itself is just a series of topics that you have to learn to write and speak about, and along the way your teacher will teach you the grammar you need to know. It's not really like French in junior school, which goes through all the grammar specifically, with the topics being kind of secondary and just there to make it more fun. It's not a progression of difficulty.

Last edited:

Kittikhun

HSC
To be honest, I really think it is possible for you to do Continuers. I didn't do French in year 9 and 10, had no formal French lessons and I'm not a native speaker of French and I got accepted into the Continuers course at the OHS and finding the work OK but I had taught myself French for a year and half before and I had to fight both my German language teacher and my fellow peers to get myself into the course so if you are really passionate about the language and you really enjoy learning it go for it but keep in mind that you do need a basic knowledge of French verbs (if you are planning to teach yourself French, it won't take you that long to learn the fundamental tenses of the most commonly used French verbs though, well except if you want to learn how to use the subjunctive which I don't recommend you learn just yet) and a good understanding of French grammar structure and all that which you will definitely not learn overnight. I recommend that you start teaching yourself now if you really want to do the course but I warn you that you must study the language INTENSIVELY from now on and to start reading French as much as you can. Also be prepared to fight a bit to get into the course.

To answer you questions-

do you think it would be easy to pick up french cont. if you have never done french, ever?

No, unless if you are a child prodigy. The again, keep in mind though that Alexander Downer learned how to speak French in two months (his accent is not that good though. I warn you that picking up the accent is hard as hell and very frustating. INTONATION!)

do you think if someone had enough motivation they could pick it up and do well?

Yes. With steadfast dedication and good and thorough research I believe you can do well.

does it start with a basic thing first and then move into harder stuff or does it assume youve done french in junior school?

No. In my first sets of work my teacher assumed that I already knew-
-the basic French verbs and how to conjugate them (verbs such as 'avoir', 'aller', 'faire')
-basic grammar (how to form a negative sentence) and a knowledge of french syntax
-how to use the conditional
-basic french expressions
-a fair French accent (it doesn't have to be great, mine was so crap at the start of the year, very crap.)
-Knowledge of France
-a good vocabulary. I guess good enough to comprehend most of an article from RFI without referring to a dictionary

RFI - Radio France Internationale, actualité Afrique et monde en français et en langues

and after that it moved onto harder stuff but it is generally revision if you already have at least a fair knowledge and vocabulary of French. I'm guessing that if you've learnt French formally before for at least 10 hours, it will just suffice so do that if you plan to do Continuers.

If you have any questions PM me because I was in the practically same position as you are in now last year.

Bon courage, mec, et souvenez-vous que quand on veut, on peut!

Last edited:

hecheeseman

HSC
if your so interested in doing french why didn't you do it in the younger years? no effense its just a silly move if you want to do well in hsc cause you will have to devote so much time to it and your other subjects will fall behind. i went on exchange at the end of year 10, came back almost fluent and now, about to do my hsc I am bottom of the class so its a really hard subject and it jumps quite dramatically from the year 11 course to the yr 12 course.

frenchtutorRene

HSC
hey!
picking up a continuous language wont be an easy feat but if you put your mind to it and work hard then you can always achieve your goals. and remember there are always people to help you out. i personally love languages and encourage everyone to pick one up!

i am a USYD BA (Languages) student majoring in French. i graduated last year in 2009 receiving over 90 for advanced french.
•Will provide French tutoring tailored to your specific needs in French conversation, grammar, as well as provide additional material.
•Will help you prepare for your French exams, guide you through homework tasks and aid with any problem areas as well as giving helpful and insightful extra tips
•Can come to an agreed upon location (1 on 1 at home)
• and make french fun again!

contact me if you are interested in french tutoring especially in inner west, lower north shore and city suburbs. rates are negotiable.
Good Luck
Renée
renee@akcs.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)