Attention to Atheists!!! (1 Viewer)

mdy_118

Hi there!

If u r an atheist, can u plz help me? I'm doing my Interest Study Project on atheism and was wondering if ne1 will be willing to do my survey and help me out. If u can't b bothered, can u at least answer the following question:
Why did you choose to be an atheist? or Why are you an atheist?
Thanx!

omg_a

HSC
it's notso much that i chose to be an atheist, rather i chose not to be religious. to mereligion causes far more problems than good. so many people have died over religious wars. also, i couldnt believe in a god who knows all our thoughts etc-if he/she's that omnipresent, why does s/he let so many people suffer????
It might be comforting (imsure it must be) to know if you ask for forgiveness, you will go to heaven after death. i think we ought to just do what we can while we live because once we die we just rot in the ground. death is still a huge thing, obviously, but so is life.
i think religions are in essence a moral code for living, and i have my own conscience, my own thoughts on right and wrong, i dont need to be threatened with hell fire and brimstone.

but hey, that's just me.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
mdy_118 said:
Why did you choose to be an atheist? or Why are you an atheist?
Basically, i believe religion is the cause for most things in this world (mainly wars) and i like to control myself, not be controlled or 'told' how to live my life. I also feel that the bible has more holes than a leaky bucket, and that there are far better, and more legible explanations to how we came about. I also don't choose to live my life feeling that my fate is predetermined by a higher being...
That's my two bob basically...
Hope it helps...

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
I didn't really choose to be an athiest. My own belief's I guess you could say, brought me to realise I don't believe that there is a God, or that there's anything out there.

I see religion as hypocrisy. And all it seems to want, to me, is a group of followers so that they have a form of power.

Spanish Inquistion anyone??

But I don't have anything against religious people... unless they're doing it for the wrong reasons, for self gain only (access to paradise/more prosperity/what ever and not a love for God/Christ/Bhudda/etc), for a better social image, so on.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
oh oh!!! i'd be the weird kind....

I started off christian

Then atheist

And made a complete U turn.

So the transition from christian ---> atheist was through a dark stage, where nothing went better. I know it sounds like a waa, but I seriously gave up on it. I also saw religion as a mere construct to order the masses, because it was full of patriarchy, homophobia and what not.

I made a U turn (altho this is not part of the question) when I saw it beyond the construct and saw it as acceptable. Much like what Lisa Simpson did when she believed in Jebediah Springfield, found out how much of a fraud he is, and then appreciated him for what he does??

Good ol' simpsons.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
not quite aesist, Agnostic.

You can't prove it either way, and i never believed in blind faith.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm an athiest because:
I control myself, and am not controlled by god.
There is no proof, at all.
I do not need a god there to make me feel secure.
The idea of a god and the way people pray and sing and worship is stupid.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I found science to be far more convincing than any religion.
That brings me to a funny occurance in year 10 science. We were doing evolution, and this really religious girl in our class got her mother to write a note so she didn't have to attend class and listen to it. I mean, how self-centred can you be. Just cos she believes in god is an excuse for her to not hear the otherside? Her parents obviously have her ears well covered...

S

Sheehan :)

ive always wondered wat is an athiests beliefs............or if they have any...hit me back

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
they believe in no religion

which is a form of belief itself.... but that, my friends, is another story.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Atheists believe there is no god or other supreme being. An agnostic does not know if there is or isn't or believe it is impossible to know.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I was brought up an atheist
and although religion is a good concept, I hate the way people will use and manipulate it to benefit them, and to control/brainwash others

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Atheists believe there is no god or other supreme being. An agnostic does not know if there is or isn't or believe it is impossible to know.
agnostics are waiting for proof?

Jezzabelle

timrie6 said:
agnostics are waiting for proof?
Agnostics believe that there is a fence between believing and not-believing and that they are sitting on this 'fence.'

but there is a road where you let God be king of your life or a road where you be king of your life and stuff God off.

there is no fence

if your not for God, your against him. and its better someone tells you that now then you find out on judgement day :)

so what road are you on? cos God's way IS the highway :)

e_star

HSC
jezzabelle86 said:
Agnostics believe that there is a fence between believing and not-believing and that they are sitting on this 'fence.'

but there is a road where you let God be king of your life or a road where you be king of your life and stuff God off.

there is no fence

if your not for God, your against him. and its better someone tells you that now then you find out on judgement day :)

so what road are you on? cos God's way IS the highway :)

I FULLY AGREE with u!!! jezzabelle86

Some may think that there is no God out there because of all the suffering which goes on in this world..... but how can we blame our God for that, we are a perverted people, sin rules our lives since the garden of Eden... well it does until u confess your sins to the Most Holy God, and He will be righteous, and forgive your sins... thats not to say that you won't sin again in your life, for sure, you will never be perfect until He takes u to heaven. But God is merciful, although I think many would disagree with that, and even believe that He doesn't exist... but He DEFINATELY DOES!!! So much bad stuff happens because we do not turn to God and worship and praise Him as we ought... we turn a blind eye to Him!!... but yet we still expect Him to be there for us.... and He will be to those who are faithful to Him...
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)