Attention Manual drivers: Worn out clutch. (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Hi guys,

Just wondering, how do you know if you have a worn out clutch? I once heard that you leave the car in 2nd gear and accelerate to 60 or so and see if the car accelerates consistently... another way was to see if the revs go up too high for the speed (in the right gear).

So... are there other ways?

I've been driving on manual since July this year(05')
Im a self-taught manual driver, so i'm just wondering since it's important to know when your clutch is about to give in

sunny

meh.
HSC
Clutches will almost always last the lifetime of a car. Apply the handbrake a reasonable amount (not too tight). Try and get the car moving...if over time you notice the brakes can overpower the engine with a similar amount of braking then the clutch is starting to wear.

Zozo6969

HSC
Don't ride the clutch and you usually won't get any problems.

HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
What about if your car doesnt have an RPM thingy? :eek:
listen to the engine

it goes VVRRRRROOOOOOOOM! :)

or itll have a lugging/knocking sound if your clutch is still in good condition

SlipStream

HSC
Taking off in top gear works - if your engine stalls then your clutch is still OK, but if it manages to keep alive then you need a new one. An easier way is just to take it to a mechanic and get it inspected to be sure.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Don't ride the clutch and you usually won't get any problems.

i don't see why people would ride the clutch... it seems so pointless
apart from the fear of stalling

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If the clutch is slipping then its on the way out the best way to tell this is when driving up a hill in say 3rd floor it if the revs climb (see tacho or noise) rapidly but speed doesn't change or even falls then its slipping.

If changes are jerky/unsmooth etc and this can't be fixed by double-de-clutching then it's also a sign of a clutch on the way out.

If these come back positive or you're unsure then take it to several mechanics and get opinions and quotes on replacement.

As a guess you'll be looking at $500 parts and $300 labour......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)