Attention HSC/ yr ll'ers (1 Viewer)

jenez

HSC
It has come to my attention that alot of past HSCers and those who are currently completing their HSC/ year 11ers visit this forum to help us out. I though that those who do, if willing to could share some advice for us year 10’s going on next year.

To allow us to know what to expect, to provide us with reliable study and revision methods, and just anything that might make the steep transition a little easier. I though that if it started straight away we would have enough time during the end of this year to prepare. I’ve decided to use the information posted/ provided to create a folder/portfolio of senior knowledge, to use as a motivational guide for next year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Spread the word
Thanks can’t wait to here from you :)

Sofstar

HSC
Yr 11.....ergh.

Study habits: If you have one already, refine it! If you don't, try some out during Yr 11. You'll get a cool syllabus with dot-points of what you have to learn throughout the year. Make notes according to these points and don't leave it til yearlies come around try and start them after every term or something. Remember to ask if you don't get anything cuz they will keep coming up throughout the year. Procrastinating is normal.

What to expect: Depending on your school really. At the start it'll probably be a real shock and trying to adjust to it will take time. Expect going through topics fast. Might be alittle overwhelming but alas, you will survive.
Classes are smaller, everyone is all over the place, teachers are nicer to you.

I can't think of anything else to say.

cupcake08

HSC
try to get into a regular study pattern. it doesnt have to be 3 hours a night, but if you keep up to date and revise regularly you won't have to pull all nighters around exam time. also use the year to work on your essay technique and learn how to write fast! if you wanna be reaaally conscientious get your hands on your set texts and read them over the summer holidays.

and finally, dont take it too seriously! remember the whole year is a practice year, and if you kill yourself trying to come top in prelim, you'll be burnt out by the time you get to year 12.

and wikipedia is awesome :)

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
a great thing is to not turn up too early for exams. in my year theres this group who turn up outside the exam room and say things to each other like, 'OMG i havent studied for that.' 'were we supposed to know this formulae?' 'shit how many related texts were we supposed to do?' 'didnt u know this was going to be in the exam? mate ur stuffed,' blaaaaah.

dont hang around these ppl. nerves spread and u wont be in good shape to do the exams.

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Yr 11 doesn't matter. In year 12....half yearlys dont matter. Focus on the HSC only.

Also, if you only plan on picking creative subjects (art, music drama dance dnt etc) make sure you also pick a hard subject (math, studies of religion, business, history etc) just so as you UAI wont suffer. For some reason, in creative subjects, its harder to get a good UAI.

B35tY

HSC
^^^ ignore, on all counts..

While year 11 doesn't count so much, it does stand you in good stead if you can develop your study habits / routine. I know it has for me.

In relation to CAPA subjects, wrong again. I know people who scored great UAIs (99+) with multiple CAPAs. While they might not scale hugely (neither does SOR, does it?), they certainly won't drag you down. In some ways i wish i'd done drama, which i dropped after year 10 :(

In general, i found that year 11 wasn't that much worse than year 10, although i'm at a pretty competitive school, and because of that i think i over-stressed about the SC. I guess if you were laidback in year 10, it might be a bit of a shock, but it's not too much to handle.

IceOnFire

HSC
Write notes for exams early, or else you are screwed I tell you.

By the end of the year, try to start revising as early as possible. You probably will have heaps of exams to study for, and if you don't start early, you won't be able to get around to them all.

I wish i had this advice at the begining of the year.. :(

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
In general I think all students with major assignments of some kind can agree, don't leave them to the last minute continually work on and try to improve them. Use your holiday time wisely and try and fit in some work on your major assignments.

Study constantly throughout the year especially during the HSC 'a little bit all the time helps'. With study that you do in preliminary trying to work out what routine and study method works for you. Preliminary study although about learning its also about learning about yourself and making mistakes to ensure you don't make them when it counts in HSC.

Try not to stress out over preliminary you want to avoid burning out. Put everything into perspective if you don't do as well there is always HSC to make up for it where everything counts.

Have fun although preliminary does form the foundations to HSC it is a fresh start, new friends, new teachers, new classes and new outlook make the most of it.

T

Testpilot

My advice: Use year 11 to experiment try studying different ways etc until you find what is right for you. Do this in year 11 because failing/not getting good results isn't as detrimental as it is in year 12. By doing this you can use what works from day 1 of year 12.

T

Testpilot

MC or rather Mr '100%' above, i think i know what i'm talking about. Oh and Lamont missed your loving this morning.

jessdoit

HSC
Yeah if you want to do well in Year 12 it is well-advised to start practicing and trying out different study methods and then once you've found a most suitable one, stick to it and make it a habit or just integrate it into whatever routine you have now. Keep in mind it's only Year 11 and "it doesn't count".

Definetely make sure you make your notes throughout the year for any subject. Don't leave it to the last minute... I definetely paid for that by getting two fail marks in one day. Ouch.

Also if you don't have any kindof routine at the moment this is a suggestion. I've started trying it out and thankfully I've been able to do it.
History: My best friend's mom and brother enforced this rule that she must study for one hour with no technology of any kind so no music, phone off and computer off. In return they won't lecture her lol.
Point: I thought this was brilliant and decided to kindof... share her pain. She doesn't know I'm doing it too though. But if you think you have enough self control and incentive to try this out I suggest you do. Keep a study log book as well on the progress that you make. That's what I'm doing. I've only done this for... 2 nights so far and I've realised that 1 hour just isn't enough but for year 11 it should be relatively sufficient. Increase the hours if you feel it's not enough as well but do this gradually, so maybe make it 2 hours after doing 1 hour of study for... a month? Maybe even a fortnight, or if you want just increase the hours the week before assessments or something...

Okay... yeah otherwise it does kindof depend on what school you go to and which subjects you choose to do. If you choose to do Economics, Legal Studies or Society & Culture (if your school happens to offer it in which I would be amazed), then feel free to message me about them. They're my electives : ) I also do Extension English, English Advanced, Maths Advanced and do/did Maths Extension (planning on dropping that for Year 12)... So yeah best of luck y'all and don't stress! Make the most of this bludge time as you can hehehe... No that's not the right advice but definetely make sure you keep up your social life instead of devoting your weekends and stuff to preparation of Year 12.

princy

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
In general I think all students with major assignments of some kind can agree, don't leave them to the last minute continually work on and try to improve them. Use your holiday time wisely and try and fit in some work on your major assignments.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The night before my mini-PIP for Society and Culture was due I was up till 4AM. Four AM.

I have three major works for year 12 next year, and if I don't make a start on them over the christmas holidays it will be a big mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)