• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

atom bomb/terrorism (1 Viewer)

tattoodguy

Do you think america cheated in ww2 by dropping the atom bomb?

i read that 120,000 people died from the bombing.

America whines about terrorism targeting civilians, yet it didnt have any problem targeting them.

Does anyone here think terrorism is a good thing and justified?

Some one has to be accountable for the actions of our governments -- in a democracy i guess its the civilians.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Completly different situations.

America only did that to save more lives. (Probably more Japanese civilian lives as well).

Terroists do it to just kill and envoke terror, not save lives.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well americans are hipocrits.

Why are they going around the world blowing up anybody who "nearly" has a nuclear weapon when they are in fact the worlds biggest possesor of them?!

Why isnt the world disarming america and their 25 000 nuclear weapons?
Well that has something to do with economics and trade.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
tattoodguy said:
Do you think america cheated in ww2 by dropping the atom bomb?

i read that 120,000 people died from the bombing.

America whines about terrorism targeting civilians, yet it didnt have any problem targeting them.

Does anyone here think terrorism is a good thing and justified?

Some one has to be accountable for the actions of our governments -- in a democracy i guess its the civilians.
Good question tattoodguy

lol "cheated".

It is interesting that states cannot commit 'terrorist' acts, but the same acts committed by individuals or non-government groups are classified as terrorism.

One argument in favour of terrorism is that there is no better way -- the groups excercising it may not have any other power to advance thier cause, so in certain dire circumstances, it may be justified. I don't know if I believe this.. but it is quite persuassive. Violence is never a good thing of course, but when people are using it against you, in some cases the only possibilities include letting them kill you or suppress you, or fighting back with the only means possible.

Of course, the causes should be good ones, which is a difficult question. But the non-violent supression of a religion doesn't give you the right to go bomb a busload of school children, for example.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
0Jade0 said:
War is war. It wasn't cheating, it's just what happens.
I think it might be more complicated than that, though I'm not sure how. Remember how during WWI the Turks and ANZACS came out and talked together during peacefire, removed their dead and wounded, and had tea with each other? Would it be just if the Aussies suddenly all pulled out pistols and betrayed the peacefire, killing some of them? The bonds of humanity might dictate some measure of dignity, or guidelines.

just a thought

0Jade0

HSC
But the situation wasn't like that, it was war.
So the attack on Pearl Harbour was cheating also?

As for guidlines and human dignity: How about the POW camps? Did the Japanese abide by the guidelines?

Generator

HSC
N/A
0Jade0 said:
But the situation wasn't like that, it was war.
So the attack on Pearl Harbour was cheating also?

As for guidlines and human dignity: How about the POW camps? Did the Japanese abide by the guidelines?
There is such a thing as the moral high ground (as questionable as that notion may be). An eye for an eye is hardly going to force a constructive solution of any sort.

heybraham

HSC
Terrorism provides an excuse for the governments of the world to combine and oppress us by labelling any who oppose them a terrorist. It's an ingenius idea for world domination. That's why the first Bush government gave millions to facilitate Bin Laden' quest to bring terror.

0Jade0

HSC
Generator said:
There is such a thing as the moral high ground (as questionable as that notion may be). An eye for an eye is hardly going to force a constructive solution of any sort.
It a-bomb attack wasn't an eye for an eye. It wasn't a revenge attack.

Riewe

HSC
In today's world, the dropping of a nukemight be considered terrorism, but in the context of WWII, the Japs were just pure evil and needed to be stopped. A nuke was a perfectly acceptable way of getting the job done. And it worked didn't it? The Japs surrended shortly after and never bothered us since.

Generator

HSC
N/A
0Jade0 said:
I was referring to your final line. I should have made that clear.

0Jade0

HSC
Generator said:
I was referring to your final line. I should have made that clear.
Well in my opinion, human dignity and guidelines should have been throw out they window after they commited all those atrocities at the POW camp.
You can't hide behind 'guidelines' after you so blatently broke them before.

Riewe

HSC
0Jade0 said:
Well in my opinion, human dignity and guidelines should have been throw out they window after they commited all those atrocities at the POW camp.
You can't hide behind 'guidelines' after you so blatently broke them before.
I cannot agree more

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
0Jade0 said:
Then what kind of attack was it?

In today's world, the dropping of a nukemight be considered terrorism, but in the context of WWII, the Japs were just pure evil and needed to be stopped. A nuke was a perfectly acceptable way of getting the job done. And it worked didn't it? The Japs surrended shortly after and never bothered us since.
Japan had been stopped. The Imperial Navy was completely destroyed. The Imperial Army had been driven all the way back to the Japan. It had abandoned all it's territorial possesions (exept a small piece of Manchuria and Korea). Japan posed no threat. Japan was on her last legs. Tokyo and the other major cities had been repeatedly bombed and systematically destroyed. All infrastructure was wiped out. Prime Minister Suzuki and his cabinet were successfully urging the Emporer to accept the Potsdam declaration (surrender). The bomb was completely unnessesary. Surrender was only months away.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Dropping the A-Bomb on Japan is one of the greatest military travesties that have ever occured, it did however occur in a time of great confusion & anger.

The justification usually used for dropping the bomb is "it ended the war", i'm sure that if american soldiers had gone into a german city, killing 180,000 men, women & children indiscriminately, destroying all their buildings, the germans may have given up in the face of this unspeakable evil and it would have ended the war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)