Atlantis question (1 Viewer)

kirabolton

HSC
I decided to do Atlantis for my major work and still haven't really settled on a question!!!! ARGH! anywho, i am thinking i might be doing some along the lines of what has influenced the contrasting views of historians over time towards Atlantis?

Edit: oh yeah, does anybody have any ideas? that was the reason i actually posted that...

Plebeian

Sounds good, as long as you can keep it in history and out of conspiracy theory. You seem to be on the right track in thinking you need to look at different historians' opinions and why they are different. Have a look at the general historical discussion surrounding Atlantis and pick something that they disagree on, eg. its location or when it existed. If possible though, try to find an area of debate which can be ascribed (at least partly) to ideological differences. It might be difficult to explain exactly why, for example. Plato picked a different date for its existence to Ignatius Donnelly.

foxster

HSC
hey,
im doing an essay on atlantis as well.....but slightly different to yours I think

maybe we could chat, help each other out. I handed in a draft, and my teeacher said I needed to put more historiography in it and stuff,....not sure how to include it in my essay

I'll include my essay here if you wanna read it, or if anyone wants to.

PM or reply to this if your interested in helping each other out.

Thanks
Foxster

X

xeuyrawp

Is it too late to advise against this topic...? I mean, heaps of schools do it for a whole term as a year11 subject, and it's been done to death.

Whatever your decision, you can always add me to msn or email me, and I can help you with your essay.

asg

HSC
N/A
on atlantis

hi, i am also doing my paper on atlantis, however i have decided to concentrate more on the usefulness of myth as a historical source and the different historian's approaches to myth, using Atlantis as a source. I was wondering whether u had any suggestions on books or sites or perhaps approaches that would aid me in the process? Thank u

franski

HSC
Hey - im doing atlantis too! but im looking at its obscurity in fiction and legend. its sooooo hard! and with a week to go b4 its due... well im keeping my fingers crossed that i dont stop working on it until its due! eeeeeeeh xxx

foxster

HSC
hey

asg, im kinda doing the same things as you---maybe we can help each other/swap essays etc? just pm me, or email me: bearwonks@hotmail.com

im focusing on myth and history (whether myth is valid as history etc) and also its social function...

um, i found a couple of good ppl which ive listed in my UPDATED essay (i am tryin to do a new draft every week)
, but this guy was very useful for me, and you can talk about his perspective and all that-you will see what i mean when u read it: http://www.uuaa.org/sermons/myth.txt

basically just search on the net, i found a couple of really good sites

good luck, and i hope we can all share essays, so we can help each other get really good marks!

Foxster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)