Athenian foreign policy (1 Viewer)

emilyy :)

HSC
Hi :)

I'm just having a bit of trouble filling in the Syllabus Dot Point "Athenian Foreign Policy". Would anybody be able to give me a shove in the right direction. What should it entail?

Thank you.

Deaths_Roses

HSC
Hey.
Not so far, sorry. :(
I'm currently writing out dot points on the Syllabus too for Greek World 800-500 BC.

The only thing I have on this point is:

• [FONT=&quot]A peaceful foreign policy was pursued through treaties and friendship with Eretria, Thebes, Sparta, Argos, Corinth and Macedonia.[/FONT]

I'm searching everywhere, I'll let ya know if I find anything else!

Deaths_Roses

HSC
  • [FONT=&quot]A peaceful foreign policy was pursued through treaties and friendship with Eretria, Thebes, Sparta, Argos, Corinth and Macedonia.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Athens[/FONT][FONT=&quot] under Pericles (from 445) had become a bastion of Greek democracy, with a foreign policy of regularly intervening to help local democrats.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The most momentous decisions of Athenian foreign policy, matters of war and peace, were ultimately in the hands of the Assembly. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Nevertheless, the Council, the institution of government that was “open” day and night, all year ’round, played an important role in how Athens interacted with the rest of the world. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The Council often represented the People of Athens in an official capacity, receiving ambassadors from foreign states, selecting Athenians to represent the city abroad, and taking advantage of its ability to discuss matters in confidence, apart from non-Athenian ears.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The Assembly could not even debate a matter unless the Council had put it on the agenda by passing a probouleuma, or Preliminary Decree; this fact alone gave the Council a certain authority over matters of foreign policy.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]The Athenian navy, of course, was the most active and palpable instrument of Athenian foreign policy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
That's all I've got. I hope this helps.
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)