atar prediction? very general (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Physics at uni is maths based, but HSC Physics has very little maths. At my school they reccomended 2u, but plenty of general people did physics and went alright. They also didn't stop people with no maths choosing it but advised against it.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
physics is 80% theory and 20% mathematics in HSC... according to my teacher. but HSC physics only really has equation substitutions and easy stuff like that.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
nothing special bachelor of science at ADFA
Won't that require you to take at least 2 first year core uni math courses though as part of the science degree? (where general maths without a foundation course before those would not be sufficient)

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
it is just using equations and subbing in values....sometimes you have to derive equations which isn't hard ...its phys, not 4u conics :p
If its that then... General maths is kinda reasonable since its just substitution and deriving is pretty easy to grasp quickly

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Won't that require you to take at least 2 first year core uni math courses though as part of the science degree? (where general maths without a foundation course before those would not be sufficient)
There is no prerequisite for B. Science at ADFA

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Physics at uni is maths based, but HSC Physics has very little maths. At my school they reccomended 2u, but plenty of general people did physics and went alright. They also didn't stop people with no maths choosing it but advised against it.
This. Once you get into the real world and out of the shelter of high school it is a different matter altogether.

luke0410

HSC
physics syllabus is changing from being more mathematical to more about written responses anyway, youd probably be better off doing advanced english than 2u maths

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Then why didn't I choose PHYSICS? FAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :(

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There is no prerequisite for B. Science at ADFA
I wasn't saying there was. What I was saying is that as part of a science degree it is highly likely there is is going to be some compulsory math units regardless of what area of science you major in.

Beaconite

Banned
HSC
I wouldn't recommend it. First year university maths (in general/overall) is harder than 4U high school mathematics.
That's bull, I went to open day today, the guy said first yr uni maths is 3u/4u and you will defs ace it ...the guy got 95 in maths (first yr uni mech eng)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't think there is a bridging course for General Maths to 2U... Only 2U to 3U, but I may be wrong.
Some universities will offer a 2 unit equivalent course to help you get up to speed before taking the required/core harder math courses.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
That's bull, I went to open day today, the guy said first yr uni maths is 3u/4u and you will defs ace it ...the guy got 95 in maths (first yr uni mech eng)
Plenty of people who done well in 4 unit math actually fail first year math subjects. It is more surprising than you might think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)