ATAR mark based on moderated assessment marks and HSC raw mark? (1 Viewer)

MysteryMoon

HSC
So apparently an ATAR is determined by the average of the HSC raw mark and the moderated assessment marks from school.
I'm aiming for at least a 90 ATAR (in my parents' views anything under 90 is a fail)
So if my moderated assessment mark happens to be in the 60-70s, I would need to achieve like 99 or something, but even so the total ATAR would be around 82, so it seems hopeless right now.
I've done really badly in all my internal assessments and I've only got a few trials to do. My marks are usually in the 60-70s for all my subjects but I'm always ranked at least in the top half of my classes.
So what are the chances of me achieving 90 ATAR?

HSC
From my understanding, internal school marks don't really matter. It is the internal school rank that matters :) as it really depends on the difficulty of the examinations at your school, how your cohort performs etc. Just as long as your cohort performs well then I'm sure 90 is achievable!

bigdawstv

HSC
just because your marks are within the 60-70 range, it doesn't mean your doing shit. "Top half of my classes" would suffice.

Don't worry about what your parents think what a good ATAR is, don't worry about the chances of receiving 90 ATAR, focus on the process. 90 is still possible if you knuckle down, just work hard.

MysteryMoon

HSC
I've done a few of my trials but I know that I've done crap. :(
No matter how much I memorise, I still can't get it absorbed into my head.
I have a feeling that I'll get 10/80 for English and a 25/80 for chemistry, meaning that I'll probably be ranked last overall in my entire cohort, which is bad since it'll easily pull my HSC mark down.
I only have Biology, Italian, Maths and ext 1 maths left in the trials. If I aim to get 90% across these subjects in the trials, will it help me push up my overall rank?
(I honestly need 90 ATAR, and I've been stressing about this since morning)

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
The atar is not a mark. You don't just add your internal marks and your external marks together, average them out and spit out an ATAR. The lack of knowledge the students have of the system is a reflection of a lack of understanding by schools themselves.

1. Once you complete your HSC, you will get two marks for each subject. An Exam mark and an Assessment Mark. These two averaged out give the HSC mark for that subject.
2.From there, a separate body UAC, scales these marks depending on the difficulty of the test to a mark out of 50 per unit.
3.They then add these marks together and you get a number of out 500 which is your aggregate mark.
4.The ATAR is your rank, so if you have a mark of say 400/500(this number is made up it varies year to year), you'll be in the top 10% of the state and get an ATAR over 90

Before you go and write yourself off, at least understand the system dude! You got this!

Last edited:

danpowell

HSC
your internal mark dont matter for shit its your rank.. 10/80 is heaps good whats your school rank and all subject ranks Ill give you an estimate

MysteryMoon

HSC
10/80 is the mark that I'll probably receive for the english exam. I'm actually near last in terms of ranks on average.

My school rank is around 319
My rank for my subjects overall (excluding trials):
English Advanced = 63/65
Maths 2U = 10/60
Maths Ext 1 = 17/20
Biology = 8/61
Chemistry = 27/42

Thanks! ^^

braintic

HSC
N/A
your internal mark dont matter for shit its your rank
That is NOT correct.

Schools do not send in ranks - they send in MARKS. How marks compare relative to those of your cohort is what counts.

For example, consider the following two sets of marks in a particular subject, where your mark is in bold (the average is 85 in each case):

(I) 90 89 88 79 79

(II) 90 86 85 85 79

Assuming external exam results are the same in each scenario (for each student), you would get a better final result in the first scenario despite having a lower rank.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)