ATAR help (1 Viewer)

onelessproblem

HSC
I probably sound like the biggest newbie there is on the planet but I do need clarifying on a question I have about how the ATAR works. So our ATAR is calculated by two units of English then the best eight units of our other subjects, right?

So I'm currently doing in my Preliminary HSC year:

2 units - English Advanced
1 unit - English Extension 1
2 units - Mathematics
1 unit - Mathematics Extension 1
2 units - Economics
2 units - Ancient History
2 units - Music 2
2 units - Industrial Technology (Multimedia)

Now I plan to drop Mathematics Extension 1, because I'm doing fine in all subjects other than that, for the HSC but my teachers told me there was a "highish" chance that I will have to keep Mathematics Extension 1 for my HSC :uhoh:

So if I end up with the worst case scenario where I have to do all the units mentioned above for my HSC, my ATAR will be calculated by my 2 units of English, then for the 8 other units is it just the best 8 units out of 12? Or does the English Extension 1 get counted with the 2 units of English?

Also a little part 2 question, is the mathematics and mathematics extension 1 counted separately?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you end up performing better in Extension 1 English ( then advanced) then they take the 1 unit (which will count as 50%) and take 50% of your Advanced English.

(pretty sure that is really confusing explanation but I hope you understand the gist)

So yes other then English its your best 8 units

braintic

HSC
N/A
Your BEST 2 units of English will be counted.
The other unit of English gets thrown into the mix and will only be counted if it is in the top 8 of your remaining units.

photastic

HSC
Mathematics is separate to mx1. They're counted as different units, maths out of 100, 2u and mxt 1 out of 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)