Atar estimate, URGENT (1 Viewer)

jess_1495

HSC
Atar estimate?
I go to a very low ranked high school, but this year i feel we have a very strong cohort.

My ranks are

English Adv 8/45
General Maths 10/68 (suck at maths)
Biology 4/28
Legal Studies 2/15
Business Studies 1/8

Is an atar of above 80 applicable? Thanks!

Salehhh

HSC
Mate anything is applicable... I go to a 500+ ranked school and ppl have gotten 95+ atar... If you have good ranks and go good in external exams... You'll be fine..

Kowther

HSC
If you smash externals in GM, you can get above 80. I don't see why not.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Maths is the only thing dragging you down, but your rank still indicates at least a high band 4. I would say mid 80s.

jess_1495

HSC
Maths is the only thing dragging you down, but your rank still indicates at least a high band 4. I would say mid 80s.
Are atar calculators accurate? When I put my raw assessment marks in there my atar is very low, like low 70's, should I not go off this?

xer0

Sydney     ATAR Aim:   85+      Penis Size:  9001
HSC
Are atar calculators accurate? When I put my raw assessment marks in there my atar is very low, like low 70's, should I not go off this?
ATAR calculators take in your HSC mark, not your raw marks. Your raw mark will be aligned - refer to the raw marks database for an indication of what your raw marks will be aligned to. Click here to see the raw marks database

And your maths rank is not bad at all. It will drag you down but not by much. You should be able to get a band 4-5 in general with that rank.

jess_1495

HSC
ATAR calculators take in your HSC mark, not your raw marks. Your raw mark will be aligned - refer to the raw marks database for an indication of what your raw marks will be aligned to. Click here to see the raw marks database

And your maths rank is not bad at all. It will drag you down but not by much. You should be able to get a band 4-5 in general with that rank.
Im new to all this raw marks/aligned marks talk. If I private message you my raw assessment marks, could you see what they would align to?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
ATAR calculators are pretty accurate once you have marks that have been aligned, but putting in assessment marks is pretty futile. Additionally assessment marks are usually not the best indicator of raw marks at most schools across the state.

jess_1495

HSC
ATAR calculators are pretty accurate once you have marks that have been aligned, but putting in assessment marks is pretty futile. Additionally assessment marks are usually not the best indicator of raw marks at most schools across the state.
I may sound stupid, but I go to a school where none of this stuff has never been explain to us. Can you briefly tell me what happens to all my marks and the relevance of it in regards to an atar. Like scaling, raw marks, aligning, everything. One confused kid over 'ere.

sebaaa_

HSC
Your ATAR is calculated like this, moderated school marks + HSC exam marks = HSC mark thus your ATAR. But ... the its complicated, hahah. So basically through out year 12, you will do exams and hand in assessments. They are all in which make up your raw school assessment mark. You don't receive your overall assessment marks because at the end of year 12 they are sent to the BOS. Your school assessment will then be moderated according to how well or shit your school performed, but from your ranks you seem to be doing extremely well so I would worry so much. But moderation of marks means that your school assessment marks will change slightly depending on performance of the class. Your ranks however wont change.

In the HSC exam, you will do your exams and once they are marked, you will receive your mark. The BOS then use your HSC exam mark and add it to your moderated school mark and then find the average. For example, in advanced english you got 80% in your internals (so your moderated school mark) and you got 90 in your externals (HSC exam) the average will then be 85. So you will receive a HSC mark of 85 for advanced english. This mark is then scaled according to how well everyone performed from other schools and international students (kids from outside of Australia do HSC too)

From your scaled marks they will add them all up, it will be out of 500 and then your atar is calculated. Also depending on the difficulty of the course is reflected in the scaling of subjects. For example in Advanced maths if a kid got 50 and a kid in general got the same, the advanced maths kid will be scaled higher because the course is more difficult. I know we all think BOS is evil but they try to be unbiased as possible. I go to a selective school in the west and the markers at my school are stingy with marks so they take this into consideration too. Also there is a difference with lets a kid getting 60% in english and ranking 1st out of 30 in comparison to a kid getting 80% and ranked 1st out of 100 for example. All of this is taken in consideration when calculating the ATAR.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
If you're getting low 70's atar with your assessment marks, you should be able to hit 80s fairly easily with your aligned assessment and scaled exam mark.

jess_1495

HSC
If you're getting low 70's atar with your assessment marks, you should be able to hit 80s fairly easily with your aligned assessment and scaled exam mark.
what if i bomb out in the externals?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
what if i bomb out in the externals?
Well anyone who bombs out in the externals is gonna drop their atar a heap. Just keep up the work until you finish your exams and you won't bomb out.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say maybe 73-80. it really depends on how you go in externals. Do you have a rough idea what you are going to get in each exam? And then use the raw marks database

jess_1495

HSC
I'd say maybe 73-80. it really depends on how you go in externals. Do you have a rough idea what you are going to get in each exam? And then use the raw marks database
Why so low? I see many other people with lower ranks etc getting much higher estimates than me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)