ATAR Estimate and help with Raw Mark scaling?... need 90. Help?? (1 Viewer)

SophxMusic

HSC
Hey guys, So I'm looking at doing a Bachelor of Physiotherapy and the entry at CSU is 94 and UoN is 96... with bonus points (for regional area and subject bonuses at Newcastle) I need around 90 to get in. I'd be ecstatic with a higher mark, maybe mid 90's but I'm not overly stressed as long as I get into Uni.
I go to a school with around 50 students, but that being said our teachers have had years of experience as they all tend to stay at the school once they get here, and often have many students getting band 6's. Most have had HSC marking experience, so they don't mark easily and know where the standard is.

My Overall Ranking and Trial HSC marks are:

Advanced English (1/16) - 94/100
English Extension 1 (1/4) - 47/50
English Extension 2 (1/3) - 48/50 assessment mark (I know this doesn't mean much, a lot depends on external marking of the MW)
Biology (1/20) - 99/100
Physics (1/8) - 73/100 (this was by a massive margin... The next highest mark was 52/100)
Advanced Mathematics (1/7) - 79/100 (a lot of the marks I lost were silly or careless... could easily have picked up an extra 5+)

I realise it may seem like they give away marks, especially in Biology, but I legitimately spent SO much time memorising detail after detail, I always cram my exam paper full with as much as I know that is relevant to the questions. On the other end of the spectrum there was often people scoring ~40%, with the average ~70%. There was a relatively big gap between me and the next person, 15% in the half-yearly and 8% in the Trial.

Allowing for exam pressure and a few sideways questions (note I am most definitely NOT expecting to get these raw marks in HSC simply because of stress and with the chance of a few horrible English questions) how am I looking for a 90+ ATAR? And what sort of raw marks am I looking at to achieve it? Thanks guys!

bedpotato

HSC
You're coming first in all your subjects, so you have a very good chance at 90+ if you perform well externally.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming your school is 200+ school I estimate around 93.

Hard to estimate though given you are 1st in all of your subjects... you are in the enviable position where your exam marks (assuming you examine well) will likely equal your HSC mark...

So if you smash all of your exams there is no reason you can't get 99. Unfortunately its hard to tell until you are compared to the rest of NSW. You could be some sort of child prodigy sitting at some random school.

Goodluck

SophxMusic

HSC
Yeah I understood there isn't necessarily a cap on the ATAR achievable if you rank first or very highly and perform very well, a few years ago we had two 99+ students in a class of 25, and we're smack bang in the middle of the country.
I'm glad I am first, because I don't trust the people in my classes to do well enough not to drag the average down... I'm relatively immune and there are a few people (especially in English and Maths) that may well have an awesome day in exams and score a better exam mark than me (which will then become my assessment mark...)
So fingers crossed!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I understood there isn't necessarily a cap on the ATAR achievable if you rank first or very highly and perform very well, a few years ago we had two 99+ students in a class of 25, and we're smack bang in the middle of the country.
I'm glad I am first, because I don't trust the people in my classes to do well enough not to drag the average down... I'm relatively immune and there are a few people (especially in English and Maths) that may well have an awesome day in exams and score a better exam mark than me (which will then become my assessment mark...)
So fingers crossed!
Good luck! Just study hard. :)

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
So fingers crossed!
By the sounds of it you know the HSC game better than most (which is half the battle).... I would back you get your target ATAR.

SophxMusic

HSC
Thank you guys! Makes me feel a lot more relaxed about exams... especially after having a look at the raw mark cut offs for Band 6. Hopefully the exams go my way. Half of the stress is my teachers telling me that I should be getting Band 6 in most of my subjects... I don't want to feel like crap if I don't :/ lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)