atar cutoff for actuarial (+combined with comp science) (1 Viewer)

hscc

HSC
N/A
Hi everone, I'm doing my HSC this year. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do in uni yet but I'm considering actuarial studies and computer science as I enjoy both mathematics extension 2 and software design and development. Is it possible to combine these, and what ATAR will I need? Let's say, the cut-off for UNSW perhaps (and other unis if you guys know), thanks heaps!

photastic

HSC
Hi everone, I'm doing my HSC this year. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do in uni yet but I'm considering actuarial studies and computer science as I enjoy both mathematics extension 2 and software design and development. Is it possible to combine these, and what ATAR will I need? Let's say, the cut-off for UNSW perhaps (and other unis if you guys know), thanks heaps!
I am not too sure if you can combine actuarial studies and computer science although I know you can combine commerce with computer science.
I provided a link about combining actuarial studies at UNSW with the following link.
https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/programs-courses/study-area/actuarial-studies

In terms of the ATAR, here are the official atar cut offs for last year for all courses so you can effectively find the cut off for actuarial studies, whether its at UNSW or any other uni.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2016_main_cutoffs_A4.pdf

si2136

HSC
N/A
The ATAR cutoffs are available online. However, there is no dual degree for Actu. and Comp. Sci. together. For the lazy:

Actuarial Studies

UNSW:

MACQ:

Computer Science

UNSW:

USYD:

Flop21

HSC
What sort of job do you want after uni?

hscc

HSC
N/A
What sort of job do you want after uni?
Hi Flop, I'm not entirely sure! However, I enjoy maths/SDD very much and I want a career involving either/both. So the main things that came to my mind were actuarial studies and degrees in the computer science field.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Hi Flop, I'm not entirely sure! However, I enjoy maths/SDD very much and I want a career involving either/both. So the main things that came to my mind were actuarial studies and degrees in the computer science field.
How about Commerce/Comp. Sci?

baktiar77

HSC
I think if you can you should try Bachelor of Actuarial Studies (Co-op) which allows you to do a second major and in your case Information Systems. Although it's not computer science, I'm sure you can choose some electives similar to computer science plus there's that sweet 18K scholarship p/a. Obviously, this all depends on whether you get in but if you mind to it, I'm sure you'll make it.

Flop21

HSC
I think you should pick what career you want, particularly either actuarial or comp sci. Picture where and what you want to be doing in your future job.

You can always do comp science + adv math to satisfy your math needs (you already do 2 first year math courses + discrete math in comp sci at UNSW).

Computer science/software engineering is an awesome field. Tbh I think you'll need a computer science degree to get into those jobs though (check out job ads, 'require degree in comp sci or equivalent').

Working at a tech company with awesome office perks + creating cool things sounds awesome to me. What about you?

hscc

HSC
N/A
I think you should pick what career you want, particularly either actuarial or comp sci. Picture where and what you want to be doing in your future job.

You can always do comp science + adv math to satisfy your math needs (you already do 2 first year math courses + discrete math in comp sci at UNSW).

Computer science/software engineering is an awesome field. Tbh I think you'll need a computer science degree to get into those jobs though (check out job ads, 'require degree in comp sci or equivalent').

Working at a tech company with awesome office perks + creating cool things sounds awesome to me. What about you?
Sounds awesome to me! Perhaps I'll go for Co-op scholarship for computer science at UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)