jckalen

HSC
Hey guys,

Do the aligned hsc marks go towards ur atar or is it just ur raw mark

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, NESA aligns both a student's moderated Assessment Mark and raw Examination Mark in a particular subject, resulting in an aligned HSC mark. This is the mark that students receive when HSC results are released.

However, this is separate from the marks that UAC uses to calculate a student's ATAR. UAC uses a student's moderated Assessment Mark (i.e. after NESA performs the moderation process) and raw Examination Mark, the average of which produces a raw HSC mark. The raw HSC mark subsequently becomes a scaled HSC mark. Scaled HSC marks are then used to determine a student's ATAR.

I hope this helps! 😄

jckalen

HSC
Hi thank you for replying! How different would you say the marks we receive from NESA are compared to the raw marks used for the ATAR. Sorry if this a confusing question but I’ve seen students put in their hsc marks that NESA gave them, which I assume are the aligned marks you said, into the ATAR calculator but since they are aligned marks wouldnt they give u a higher atar estimate than the real ATAR with the raw marks That are normally lower according to rawmarks.info?

idkkdi

HSC
Hi thank you for replying! How different would you say the marks we receive from NESA are compared to the raw marks used for the ATAR. Sorry if this a confusing question but I’ve seen students put in their hsc marks that NESA gave them, which I assume are the aligned marks you said, into the ATAR calculator but since they are aligned marks wouldnt they give u a higher atar estimate than the real ATAR with the raw marks That are normally lower according to rawmarks.info?
atar calculators use aligned mark data as input. This is cause u gotta buy reports to access ur raw marks and that would be given to u after atar is released so the calculators would be useless.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
No worries! Importantly, keep in mind that the data available on rawmarks.info includes raw and aligned HSC exam marks. It does not include data related to Assessment Marks and by extension does not provide information in relation to HSC marks (final marks).

To answer your question, raw and aligned HSC exam marks are different, and their difference varies between subjects. For example, a raw HSC exam mark of 82 in English Standard could result in an aligned mark of 85, whereas the same raw HSC exam mark in English Advanced could result in an aligned mark of 89, i.e. a higher mark.

UAC uses scaled HSC marks to calculate students' ATARs. The value of scaled HSC marks is typically lower than both raw and aligned HSC marks. With that being said, I believe that ATAR calculators have some type of mechanism that takes the difference between raw and aligned HSC marks (the latter being the marks that students input into ATAR calculators as you mentioned, also see idkkdi's post above) into consideration when providing ATAR estimates to students, which would be consistent with the fact that they have a degree of accuracy. For instance, based on my aligned HSC marks, the Matrix ATAR calculator gave me a 91.90, whereas my actual ATAR ended up being slightly higher at 92.10.

jckalen

HSC
Ahhh okay thank you to the both of you! Just curious about how everything works but I know it’s way more important to just try your best. Thank you again for the clear explanation :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)