ATAR and part time jobs (1 Viewer)

croissant_stan

HSC
I just started year 11 and I want to get a part-time/casual job but I don't know how that would affect my studies.
Many people in my grade have jobs however I need a 90+ ATAR to get into my degree of choice and I don't want to risk it, especially considering my grades currently average around A- level.
Is it worth it to get a job?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given that none of your year 11 results will contribute towards your HSC results or ATAR, having a casual job while you are in year 11 should not be an issue. Of course, you should consider the number of hours that you will be working each week and ensure that you do not work for too long, i.e. a number of hours that would negatively impact your ability to study and ultimately your performance and results. While your year 11 results will not count towards your HSC results or ATAR, there are university early entry schemes that consider your year 11 results. If you can receive an offer to your chosen degree through such a scheme, then this would be relevant to your situation. Otherwise, you can safely disregard this aspect.

On the other hand, I would personally suggest avoiding casual work in year 12 as this is the most important year of school, where all of your results will contribute towards your HSC results and subsequently your ATAR. If you are not in need to have a job (such as for personal/financial reasons), then it is a good idea to focus all your efforts on ensuring that you are up-to-date with your studies so that you are able to maximise your results and hopefully attain your desired ATAR. After you secure your offer for your chosen degree, you will have the opportunity to work again during your time at university, where you will benefit from the increased flexibility compared to high school.

I hope this helps! 😄

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
How busy is the rest of your week? 1-2 afternoons a week or a weekend half day shouldn’t be an issue if you are organised.
My youngest is also starting Yr 11 and spends two afternoons/evenings a week at a dance studio where she is both a student and a part time paid dance teacher. She did this last year and had no trouble maintaining high grades. Both of her older siblings achieved 99+ ATARs and she is aiming for 98+ (although she is aiming to be a maths teacher so there’s no particular reason she needs a high ATAR other than because she knows she’s capable of it) and their school is ranked outside of the top four hundred high schools, so it’s really down to personal characteristics.

Last edited:

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Currently in year 12, but I had absolutely no issue with working in year 11. I've had my part time job since 2018, and I think it's definitely worthwhile to build work experience whilst in high school. In the lead-up to prelims I was only doing 1 x 7hr shift each week, but for most of year 11 I was doing 12-18 hrs per week (but I always made sure to cut down my hours in busy assignment weeks, and whatnot). Overall, yes you should do it!

carrotsss

HSC
I’ve had a similar experience to @dsakvyilsa working during prelims and the start of year 12 last year. As long as you’re only working a few shifts a week, I find that I don’t actually end up doing less study - I’m just forced to organise my time better and be more efficient in my study. I don’t think working is necessary though (I would live just fine without it), but in my opinion it’s really valuable to have some sort of work experience. As an added side bonus, after working for just a year I already have enough savings for a pretty nice car, which is great when you’re a teenager.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)