atar aim (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Hey i'm starting to get worried that i will not be able to reach by atar aim of 92+

i average 80s, 85s in school assessments and occasional 90+ in easier tasks.
i study

english adv
business studies
math 2u
engineering
physics
ipt

average scaling subjects :( . i put my subjects and marks of mid 80s in the atar calc and it estimated 88 only. my school rank is mid 100s and fluctuates greatly in excess of 20 schools + each year. so does anyone have any tips, advice or opinions on what i should do so that i can attain 92+ for sure, i know i should study more and study smarter but what marks should i aim for in assessments and internals? also how will school cohort affect me?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey i'm starting to get worried that i will not be able to reach by atar aim of 92+

You have THREE more terms to go, whether than worrying about whether you can achieving a certain ATAR, you should clear your mind, establish short term and long term goals and practical studying strategies to help you achieve your ATAR aim by working consistently throughout the entire year-holidays included. Worrying will just increase your anxiety and stress level while achieving nothing substantial to help you get closer to your ATAR goal, you should put the time spent worrying into studying.

i average 80s, 85s in school assessments and occasional 90+ in easier tasks.
You need to ask yourself whether these marks represent your best effort in studying. If it is, then you should be proud and keep going to try to improve on your results. Make sure you really understanding why you are making mistakes in your assessments and PREVENT making the SAME MISTAKE TWICE.

I study average scaling subjects
Well, most people will consider English Advanced and Physics to be high in scaling. Remember, you can get your ATAR aim with any combination of subjects, you just need to focus, put in the hard work and you will get there. Even for subjects that scales down, if you are getting top marks, you won't be affected very much.

I put my subjects and marks of mid 80s in the atar calc and it estimated 88 only. my school rank is mid 100s and fluctuates greatly in excess of 20 schools + each year.
You are entering your raw marks into the ATAR calculator which won't really work since your HSC marks are all aligned and moderated, so the ATAR estimate is not accurate. Remember that your ATAR is determined by your internal rank, your cohort and your personal performance in the external HSC, so you should strive for the highest rank possible within your school, internal marks does not necessarily give you a good reflection of your actual HSC mark depending on whether your school marks harder, easier or at the same level of HSC standard.

so does anyone have any tips, advice or opinions on what i should do so that i can attain 92+ for sure,i know i should study more and study smarter but what marks should i aim for in assessments and internals?

You should ideally be striving to get as high a mark in English Advanced because it is compulsory in the calculation of your ATAR-a mid-to high band 5 is minimum depending on how you perform in your other subjects as well. No one can actually say what marks you should aim for in assessments-because it depends also on what marks the top of your cohort tend to get-you should really aim for marks higher that your previous performance to improve your internal rank, every assessment's difficulty, school's assessment task varies, so my best advice is to DO YOUR VERY BEST and aim as high as possible. To attain a 92+, you've got to genuinely devote yourself to your subjects, ask questions when you don't understand, take responsibility for your own learning, take personal initiative-read ahead before the class etc.

how will school cohort affect me?
Well, put it this way, if you manage to rank first in all your subjects and do brilliantly in your external exams, your school cohort won't really affect you. However, your final HSC marks will be aligned based on your cohort's external performance in the exam. So say, you are ranked tenth internally for 2 unit maths, and in the final HSC exam you got a 90% mark. However, if your cohort performs poorly, say the tenth highest mark in the external HSC exam was 80%, then you will get (90+80)/2=85 for your maths exam, missing out on a band 6. On the other hand, say if your cohort has a stellar performance in the external HSC exam, and the tenth highest mark was 92%, that means you will get (90+92)/2=91 for your HSC mark, earning you a band 6.

On other levels, a better school cohort can provide a motivational environment for you study harder and in term, have better results. But if you have enough motivation, dedication, passion and concentration, couple it with some perseverance and an optimistic, never giving up attitude-you can achieve any ATAR goal regardless of your school cohort. Hope this helps and best wishes for blitzing your HSC year:) (don't worry excessively-remember to smile:))

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
thanks Mei, really helpful and thanks for the detailed response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)