ATAR aim, achievable? (1 Viewer)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Hey guys, I've been reading for quite some time and would like to ask for some advice.
So my subjects for next year are: ADV English, 2U Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies and Agriculture. I'm quite nervous for the coming year, as I don't really know what to expect of senior school. I would appreciate it if you guys could take some time to give some general advice: as well as some study tips for the upcoming year. In addition, I would like to know whether it is possible for me to achieve my ATAR goal (90 +) if I am in the top 35% of my cohort given that my school ranked 20-25 in the 2013 HSC.
Thank You!

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, if you have read through the other threads-you could know that there is a lot of other people like you who are also as anxious and nervous as you are. The important thing to remember is you are not alone, and as long as you put in consistent effort, EVALUATE ALL YOUR MISTAKES and keep trying hard and never ever give up-you can maximise your potential to reach your desired ATAR goal. Remember, try to compete against yourself, not with others:) When you have achieved your Personal Best, then you will have no regrets

Check out my responses in the threads below to maximise your marks for Advanced English:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315916&p=6480049#post6480049 (my top tips for doing well in English Advanced)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315158&p=6471238#post6471238 (features of a stellar essay)

On how to achieve consistent study patterns in senior years:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315886&p=6479509#post6479509 (my top tips on how to not burn out)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315131&p=6471248#post6471248 (my top tips on the best way to study during the term)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315658&p=6476770#post6476770 (How much you should study in the holidays-applicable to preliminary and HSC years)

In this summer holiday, you should focus on making sure you have a prepared psychological mindset for senior year studies, you must have a much tougher mindset to prepare you not just for the much greater academic rigours of the senior years, but also a corresponding increase of expectations-i.e. taking more responsibility for your self-learning, more proactive role in asking questions when you don't understand instead of blaming the teacher for not teaching the syllabus content thoroughly enough.

Another thing is you need to make sure you have consistent performance in all your subjects-consistency is very important-both in your academic performance(I am talking about at optimal levels) as well as consistency in your study routine, learning methods and sleeping patterns-don't study 24/7 because you will wreck your body and by then your atar will become meaningless if you destroy your health-take care of yourself, do relax a bit in the holidays-you need enough relaxation to get you to keep working very hard for the next two years-and I think if you prepare your psychological mindset over the holidays, it will help you even more than pure attaining academic knowledge for year 11. Essentially, make sure to keep healthy-a healthy body allows you to have good results. Construct goals and be prepared to stick to it (long term and short term ones).

If you have any questions about studying in senior years-you are welcome to pm me-best wishes for achieving brilliant results in the next two years. Remember, any ATAR aim is possible if you believe it is and you take actions that help you achieve it-work hard and never give up and you will excel:)

Last edited:

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Thank you so much for being helpful ! I will definitely take into account all of the advice given to me in order to achieve my academic goals. Once again, thank you !:hug2: xx

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
Hey guys, I've been reading for quite some time and would like to ask for some advice.
So my subjects for next year are: ADV English, 2U Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies and Agriculture. I'm quite nervous for the coming year, as I don't really know what to expect of senior school. I would appreciate it if you guys could take some time to give some general advice: as well as some study tips for the upcoming year. In addition, I would like to know whether it is possible for me to achieve my ATAR goal (90 +) if I am in the top 35% of my cohort given that my school ranked 20-25 in the 2013 HSC.
Thank You!

You'll be fine. A 90+ ATAR isn't that hard to get, and you're in a competitive environment so use it to motivate you. Good luck.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
For agriculture, if you come top 60% of cohort youre almost certain for B6

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
In the year 12 agriculture cohort? I don't actually know if I'm in a decent position or not, given that I scored in the top 10% for the yearly examination in comparison to the current year 10 cohort.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yes, it is totally possible! :D As long as maintain your current position (and possibly higher to ensure you're up there), you'll make it :D

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Thanks for your input ! Out of curiosity .. how difficult is it to achieve a 90+ ATAR in YOUR opinion? I know I'm extremely paranoid about senior school staring and the upcoming 2015 HSC. Thank you in advance ! :smile:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@OP, you go to hurlstone or ruse right?

I believe your atar aim is possible. Any ATAR is possible, provided you put in the effort and work. As they say... garbage in , garbage out.

Some study tips:
  • Focus on one activity at a time
  • Remove electronic distractions
  • Do not multi task (it is inefficient)
  • Make use of past papers

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Teachers supply pretty much all the notes required for ag except for areas you need to research yourself for one of the assessment tasks. If youre top 10%, you are in a solid position however the performance during HSC year is what only will count. Remember - consistency

cloudxex

HSC
dont ask for estimates on this site
i got like 5 estimates telling me that i'd get like 80s
nek minnit 95 LOL

honestly i was only like the top 10% of my grade, which caused my school to rank like 130smth this year..
If you go to a school ranked 20-25, just hit the median in your cohort and you'll easily get 90+ EASILY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)