ATAR <95 is... No (1 Viewer)

tokyocalling

HSC
Tbh this was my parents view as well but I had learnt when I was very young not to give a dam about others opinions on you. So I never cared what my parents or relatives thought of my atar.

Strive for your best! Striving for something other want from you may lead to disappointment and is not healthy imo.
I respect that dude. Hope your enjoying uni!

dumNerd

HSC
this!!!!!! you get it!!!!! I can already see my relatives looking at me like a broken rice cooker if i told them i got a 96 - so useless lol. All my cousins went to top selective schools and have graduated with 98.5-99.9 atars. This is such a stupid thing to care about but oh well
BRUH....MY COUSING JUST GOT 98 PERCENTILE FOR UCAT AND HE GOT 100 RAW MARK IN HIS SCHOOL 4U TRIALS .... I'V BEEN ROASTED FOR NOT WORKING ENOUGH EVER SINCE

AKONS

HSC
I guess it's a family thing? I know a lot of kids in my school that are pretty much solely driven by their parents' wants for them to get a high ATAR and surpass their cousins.

Personally, I have the belief that if you want something done right in a worthwhile way to the individual, you can't force the person to do it. Sure it helps to push them in the right direction but without their own decision to dedicate their time and their own drive to achieve their goals they might just end up resenting it.

Anyway take that with a pinch of salt. It's just a theory.

idkkdi

HSC
I guess it's a family thing? I know a lot of kids in my school that are pretty much solely driven by their parents' wants for them to get a high ATAR and surpass their cousins.

Personally, I have the belief that if you want something done right in a worthwhile way to the individual, you can't force the person to do it. Sure it helps to push them in the right direction but without their own decision to dedicate their time and their own drive to achieve their goals they might just end up resenting it.

Anyway take that with a pinch of salt. It's just a theory.
Forcing:
end up resenting? Yes, probably
Results? Yessir
Wasted after no more surveillance? Likely

idkkdi

HSC
BRUH....MY COUSING JUST GOT 98 PERCENTILE FOR UCAT AND HE GOT 100 RAW MARK IN HIS SCHOOL 4U TRIALS .... I'V BEEN ROASTED FOR NOT WORKING ENOUGH EVER SINCE
100 raw mark in 4u? What school is this?

jojosiwa123

HSC
omg this thread it just...I really disagree w the idea that anything below 95 is bad...maybe it is a selective school thing I have no clue but everyones got shit going on, I know people w mental health and family issues and honestly seeing them getting a 70 would make me so happy for them. everyone has different levels of motivation idk I don't think this is a good mentality cus it can lead u to a path of looking down on people who didn't do well or dropped out of high school etc etc- not saying this is you but I do know people who feel like some kind of elite creature bc of their 97 atar lmfao

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
Making it through year 12 (especially the class of 2020) is a massive achievement in itself. At the end of the day, we're all people and it's sad to see others get judged for something as arbitrary as getting a <95 ATAR because someone thinks it's a low score and easily achievable. Still, you're 100% allowed to be proud if you get a high ATAR, just know that someone can be just as satisfied and proud of themselves with a different score.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate same. All my cousins in America attend Ivy league schools, Hardvard etc.. In fact last year one of my cousins also got into MIT. I got roasted so much by my parents for going to a school like UNSW... Even though idc.

Last edited:

tokyocalling

HSC
!!! it's nice to see everyone's comments. By no means was this meant to look down on people- just want to clarify that was not the purpose. Atar means literally nothing after this year anyway lol. I probably should have clarified that this may only be like a thing amongst selective school kids idk.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
!!! it's nice to see everyone's comments. By no means was this meant to look down on people- just want to clarify that was not the purpose. Atar means literally nothing after this year anyway lol. I probably should have clarified that this may only be like a thing amongst selective school kids idk.
Yeah it doesn't technically matter after this year but I still think it's good to aim high for personal goals but I also personally believe it has SOME indication of work ethic

wzsmartypants

HSC
Mate same. All my cousins in America attend Ivy league schools, Hardvard etc.. In fact last year one of my cousins also got into MIT. I got roasted so much by my parents for going to a school like UNSW... Even though idc.
wow what's your ethnic background

SplashJuice

HSC
I come from a top5 selective too. I totally understand where you are coming from, I cant bear to imagine telling my asian relatives that I got a 96 atar like........ they'll just be like oh you got into a top selective school for nothing lol! And also just IMAGINE someone googling your name for the HSC honour roll and it comes up with nothing LIKE
Literally the only reason I'm studying is because when my friends search my name on the HSC honour roll i don't want them to see nothing.

andeeeeeeee

HSC
As someone who goes to an aight selective but is close enough w/ people from local schools, it is a selective thing and v few groups worry about that stuff - they still talk a bunch about their futures and all that, but there isn't a whole ton of pressure from parents.

It's kinda funny what happens when there isn't that upward pressure though, about 1/3 of my schools accel cohort's still partying/going out in the lead up to hscs cause they're happy w/ high 80s-low 90s, and they winged their assesments up until now. On the other hand it's good to have that motivation, will make sure that you're actually in a position where you can take whichever degree you want (incl. med & law at top unis)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)