• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

"at least one" (1 Viewer)

emily88

HSC
when a question asks you to write about "at least one related material" for example, is it better to write about 2? or 1?

how many texts are the markers looking for?

the_essence

HSC
emily88 said:
when a question asks you to write about "at least one related material" for example, is it better to write about 2? or 1?

how many texts are the markers looking for?
Generally, it is best to write about two of your additional texts (ie related material) as it gives the markers a broader scope on which to assess your knowledge of journeys. For that band 5/6 u will need 2 texts.
Also, try to select related material that's a bit more 'high order' as this can excel your marks (if u analyse the material accordingly).

BTW ONE stimulus BOS text is also necessary.

emily88

HSC
thanks! i was really confused about that. we were asked in the trial to write about at least one and everyone was unsure how many to do. :) thnx

emily88

HSC
i have also heard that they may tell us which stimulus text we have to write about and that we should know ALL of the texts.

HSC
N/A
True - they can specify

Although most people will know one in detail and just enough on all the others if needed to scrape by.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
emily88 said:
i have also heard that they may tell us which stimulus text we have to write about and that we should know ALL of the texts.
the Stimulus Booklet

It is expected that you will use one stimulus piece in your AOS essay in paper 1. Many teachers recommend that you study more than one as it may aid you in your understanding of what the Board of Studies means by Journeys however it is generally not expected you use more than one in the final HSC exam. Here is a statement from the Board of Studies Stimulus Booklet to exemplify this:

This booklet is a prescribed text. In the HSC examination students may be asked to refer to at least one text that they have selected from the stimulus booklet.

This would be taken to mean that at least one text of your 'own choosing' from the stimulus booklet is to be included in the HSC essay. This however does not place any parameters on what may be examined in your trials and assessments as these are written by your teacher, not the Board of Studies.

In summary: they could specify which text from the stimulus, but its against their own guidelines to do so, therefore its likely they will not.

Also..:

Supplementary Material

Students should study at least one text[preferably two] of their own choosing that links to your chosen focus and prescribed text. It is preferred that these text(s) be from differing mediums to your prescribed texts. While you may also take for related material the texts that are on the prescribed list for the english course, it is in general not recommended as you must analyse them in a way that is separate from what is taught on them which generally creates more work for the student. Also in essays, many teachers have stated that if you have trouble with two pieces of related material then focus on the one as it is better to have one solid piece than two weak ones.

Last edited:

shellsbells15

HSC
i got told on the hsc phone thing that unless is specifies directly its better to just do one and do it in better detail....

i swear i posted something about this like 2 down from this one... maybe its a good idea to read other posts before doing your own.

the_essence

HSC
I guess it's a really subjective thing....hmmm, my teacher ALWAYS without fail told us to do TWO related material texts IN DETAIL. Many of the lectures I've been to have also specified TWO related texts discussed in detail as being ideal for a band 5-6 response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)