Astrophysics (1 Viewer)

yasminee96

HSC
It was so strange. The last question... Pretty much had no idea how observing light is related to mass :(. Also, if you didn't memorise spectral and luminosity classes, you would've been screwed. Part D wasn't bad and hardly required knowledge, but was moreover skills. Part (a) was good. Not sure how HR diagram was supposed to look.

But idk... I reckon with lots of practice it would have been easy to do. But I guess considering astro usually has very long responses and pretty much always needs many rote learned responses, it was strange.

cyradis

HSC
I also thought it was much more difficult then past papers! could not work out how to measure mass or luminosity! mindblank...

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Last question was worded in a way that didn't express what they want as simply as is usual- similar to the I2I question.

Where in previous years they would just ask- How do you get this from spectroscopy, they made the question somewhat more difficult for international students- "analysis of light".

In I2I they usually ask- how have transistors impacted society. This time they expected students to connect the dots from changing properties to doping to transistors.

In general they were a lot more picky than usual, looking for a more detailed/precise knowledge than the usual broad/bludgeable questions they ask.
Physics aligns fairly different each year in the past few, it'll be interesting to see what it aligns like this time.

Tbqh I'm impressed.

gwilymprice

HSC
Yeah defs harder than normal, optional topics get aligned differently don't they so they can be compared to other options?

ocatal

HSC
How does astrophysics compare to other options, in terms of scaling/aligning?

lej01

HSC
So many of the astro questions were based on section 6 this year... the only part that my class did not go through.

JJ345

HSC
N/A
In 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which year it was I saw) it scaled up a bit by like 1 mark.
I hope it scales much more than that this year :(
I didn't even know what to talk about for the last 6 marker-Had to read the question several times then just went on about spectroscopy/photometry/ HR-diagram

yasminee96

HSC
I hope it scales much more than that this year :(
I didn't even know what to talk about for the last 6 marker-Had to read the question several times then just went on about spectroscopy/photometry/ HR-diagram
I talked about that as well :eek:
hey i might've done something right yay!

LilyYum

HSC
For mass I talked about binary stars. That was the only thing I could think of

ate8

HSC
Yeah I talked about spectroscopy as well, mentioned a bit of photometry in there (hopefully enough to get some pity marks). Regret not drawing a HR diagram and showing the mass luminosity relationship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)