Asthma and exercise (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Hey ppl, I've got this friend who's chubby...and has asthma. I want to help her lose weight and get fit, but don't know the best way...any suggestions? How do you keep it under control?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
exercise... just do it when the weather is good.. and avoid major cold..

make sure shes got her inhalers.. her "reliever" in case she has an attack
and is regularly taking her cortico-steroids.. which are the "preventors"

swimming is the ideal way.. its quite good for it.. but u end up.. muscular..

Asthma unless its major bad.. like serious allergy type.. then there shouldnt hold them back..

ure not actually giving me enough details about the asthma.. so i can tell u wat she cant do..

also she should see her general practitioner.. they can also help find a dietician..

or get a personal instructor..

Always

HSC
Swimming is perfect for asthma sufferers, and a great workout too.

W

whsmith

Diet is the most important thing to address. Just eat good whole food, and it all fits into place.

Regardless of her asthma, she could still strength train, dont let her use it as an excuse [this is NOT an attack - i know a couple of people who will make up any excuse. I'm just saying to watch for it.].

And i think someone else mentioned it, a personal trainer might be good, just make sure they have experience with asthmatics.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i had asthma really bad when i was little and i took up swimming and within a year i had not suffered from asthma. ost doctors reccomend swimming for asthmatics

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
my best mate has asthma pretty bad and she does pretty much anything as long as she has her ventolin with her

* swimming
* gym classes (body jam/body attack)
* walking
* she's just started running - but had to build her body up to it, starting with small distances
* netball

main thing is that if they start to feel out of breath etc. that they need to take a break... and whoever said to address diet - i'm with that too.. diet + exercise is the key

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
there is a distinct difference between out of breath and an asthma attack..

usually there is a wheeze with the attack.. she should take the reliever if she feels light headed or wheezing..especially their self- propellant reliever (lik Ventolin or generic brand.. lik Asmol..)

HSC
N/A
Agreed.

I was diagnosed with asthma back when I was little - I'm also a dancer who has often had to do full-day rehearsals.

After getting over a really bad flu with the help of a naturopath back in Yr 9, I fixed up my diet and have rarely had to use my Ventolin since. Often I'll notice I'm slightly more out of puff than other people, but it's not too bad and so long as I have decent rest periods and drink water, it's cool :)

Since getting my Ventolin, I think I've only ever had to use it once for a minor "almost" asthma attack. Anyone who's suffered from asthma will know when their asthma is acting up - all they have to do then is to use their puffer, and all is good :) When their diet gets better and they become stronger/more fit, they will actually rely LESS on their puffer. Swimming is widely documented as being the best activity for this, however basically anything else will work as well - just take it easy to start with, keep an eye on your body, and take your puffer with you :)

CieL

HSC
Anything which doesnt strain the body is fine

Just do mild exercise for an extended period of time.. like walking/strolling with weights, going for a leisurely bike ride..

All this builds up your body in preparation for anything more strenuous.. like jogging, swimming laps, etc..

i wouldnt recommend something full on at first, even if it is for a short period of time.. get her adjusted to moving around first.. so yeh =]

Lexie1001

HSC
hey...ive got asthma which is brought on by exercise too :( it sucks but in year 8 i started swimming before school at 6:30am for an hour twice a week, done it since then, its heaps of fun with friends and makes u get really fit! i highly recommend it :)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
its just an excuse, i doubt she has worse asthma than me

every fatty i know has an excuse for being fat, dont tell me your life story and i dont care why you are fat, you think the coroner is going to give a shit when you die at 55 from a heart attack? i didnt think sso

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)