Assumed Knowledge (1 Viewer)

Sturgess

HSC
Hey! I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in about what type of assumed knowledge is required for a unsw commerce degree. They've stated hsc mathematics, but is it the actual work from the course, or just the ability to be able to do advanced maths? I was just wondering, as I am going to be doing combined law next year (I received the AAA scholarship so have guaranteed entry due to my atar), and though I was always good at advanced maths I never really enjoyed it, so chose more 'humanities' subjects during the HSC. However, I loved business studies, and I find the commerce degree to be very interesting, so I am thinking of combining it with law - though I'm worried that because I did not complete HSC mathematics, I won't be able to grasp certain aspects of the course.

So if anyone could explain what math knowledge is necessary for commerce, and certain majors (I'm quite interested in finance), that would be fantastic :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
For assumed knowledge for maths, they assume you had the knowledge to the fundamental stuff like calculate gradient (Economics), calculations involving power and roots (finance), algebra, solving equations. There is probably a bit more but I can't really remember from the tip of my head.

They won't be teaching you how to calculate the gradient of a line, they will assume that you know it and will jump into saying what's the gradient. Although Diane Enharo did teach her Microeconomics class how to calculate gradient incase some people didn't know how to do it haha.

So far I only did 3 Finance courses (FINS1613, FINS1612, FINS2624). You need to be able to do basic calcuations, calculating involving roots/powers cant remember the others.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey! I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in about what type of assumed knowledge is required for a unsw commerce degree. They've stated hsc mathematics, but is it the actual work from the course, or just the ability to be able to do advanced maths? I was just wondering, as I am going to be doing combined law next year (I received the AAA scholarship so have guaranteed entry due to my atar), and though I was always good at advanced maths I never really enjoyed it, so chose more 'humanities' subjects during the HSC. However, I loved business studies, and I find the commerce degree to be very interesting, so I am thinking of combining it with law - though I'm worried that because I did not complete HSC mathematics, I won't be able to grasp certain aspects of the course.

So if anyone could explain what math knowledge is necessary for commerce, and certain majors (I'm quite interested in finance), that would be fantastic :)
Well did you do 2u Mathematics? If you did, you would've covered the basic stuff you need to know.

Essentially for Commerce it's very simple maths like Trans4M said. Basic algebra, basic manipulations of equations and the like.

Sturgess

HSC
Thank you both so much! Might have to do a bridging course...

inJust

HSC

I'm in the same predicament. And I think she means advanced mathematics as in years 7-10, cos that's what I did haha. I did 2u maths in year 11 but failed and dropped it haha. (But I think it was because I didn't bother trying)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)