Assumed Knowledge (1 Viewer)

astrolio

Shifty Member
HSC
Im doing 2unit maths in high school atm and i wanna do engineering. The assumed knoweldge for civil engineering is 2unit maths and recommended is 3unit maths. duz that mean, if i come to Uni of Newcastle they teach the maths from 3unit onwards or do they move on to 4unit, skipping the 3unit component? Coz at UNSW its Assumed knowledge 3unit maths and recomended 4unit. SO wud i be better of going to UNSW (since its ranked higher in engineering) and doing a bridging course or better of going to Uni of Newcastle and picking maths up along with the class?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
astrolio said:
Im doing 2unit maths in high school atm and i wanna do engineering. The assumed knoweldge for civil engineering is 2unit maths and recommended is 3unit maths. duz that mean, if i come to Uni of Newcastle they teach the maths from 3unit onwards or do they move on to 4unit, skipping the 3unit component? Coz at UNSW its Assumed knowledge 3unit maths and recomended 4unit. SO wud i be better of going to UNSW (since its ranked higher in engineering) and doing a bridging course or better of going to Uni of Newcastle and picking maths up along with the class?
There's some really tough maths in engineering. If you can't handle doing 3unit maths at school, then you probably wont be able to handle doing engineering maths at university.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
if you get less that 80 do a bridging course, they do the 3Unit course in about half a term in first year math. Trig, calculus etc.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
it is entirely possible to have only have done 2 unit and go well in maths at uni, it just might take a little bit more work. one of my friends only did 2 unit and they regularly kicked my arse in maths subjects we did together.

oh yeah, civil engineering isnt too hardcore when it comes to the maths in it either, as long as you have some grasp of the basics (eg. differentiation, integration) then you will be fine

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
clive said:
it is entirely possible to have only have done 2 unit and go well in maths at uni, it just might take a little bit more work. one of my friends only did 2 unit and they regularly kicked my arse in maths subjects we did together.

oh yeah, civil engineering isnt too hardcore when it comes to the maths in it either, as long as you have some grasp of the basics (eg. differentiation, integration) then you will be fine
why the fuck aren't i doing civil :(

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
dont worry you're not missing anything good, what it lacks in maths it makes up for in sheer volume of work in mind numbing assignments/projects.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
haha yeah i always see civil kids looking at maps and stressing about some project

gowie

HSC
Quick question for u engo kids,
im looking at newy health/science courses, ie biomed science or biotech, or science. These requrie assumed knowledge of maths, i only do general. i understand engo is a highy maths orientated course, my question is would it be the same for the health/sciences courses above or less maths orientated. I say this because I dont want to do something else and find out later of a friend that theres barely any maths involved and regret it. Maybe u guys got friends who do the courses?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Biotech only requires that you do the easiest of maths offered (roughly equivalent to 2U advanced from yr 12)
Biomed requires you do the next level of maths (equivalent to parts of 2U, 3U and some 4U)
the biomed maths might be a little hard for somebody who has only sone general, but if you really put in the effort u should do ok.

I do biomed, and 2 of my friends do biotech.

EDIT: you only have to do one maths course for both biomed and biotech as the course stands currently.

gowie

HSC
Hey highwayman, u seem 2 be the main responder, how do u like Newy? ie the accomo, classes, etc. Im headed down 2mora 4 da open day.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i dont live on campus so have no idea about the accomodation.
generally i find uni to be pretty crap.
but that is wholly and solely my opinion and has been influence by a number of personal factors which by no means are influenced by the uni itself.

it think newcastle would be a great place to study, if you loved what u are doing.
i, however, do not and so my outlook is marred by that.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The_highwayman said:
generally i find uni to be pretty crap.
but that is wholly and solely my opinion and has been influence by a number of personal factors which by no means are influenced by the uni itself.
go on...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
youre so one-dimensional, come out with something personal for a change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)