assumed knowledge (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
i fail to understand why the bit & compsci courses require maths2u & maths ext1 knowledge. don't you only learn about COMPUTERS and PROGRAMMING?

anyone care to enlighten me?

by the way; what are the main differences between the bit & compsci courses? :confused:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
They don't require those level of maths, it is just recommended. You won't do much (if any) maths in the core subjects in the IT courses. Some electives sometimes may have a bit of maths stuff depending on what you do.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
with all the course changes the courses, well BIT and BscIT (aka compsci), at least try not to focus just directly on programming for the core subjects this semester...

i'm doing a BIT, and this semester i'm doing two hard core computer subjects, one info systems (so like business x computing) and one basically english and ethics subject... like i didn't do ext maths or anything and like jasee said there's like not much maths whatsoever, probably the only time would be in programming and even then its pretty simple stuff.

im sure that the diff has been said somewhere before but basically:

BIT - bachelor of it - NB new two round application process starts this year - http://it.uts.edu.au/course/undergrad/local/bit.html
- like computers and business combined....
-NO MAJOR
- scholarship program (13k a year for 3 years)
-2 x 6 month industry placements so you get experience (really good)

BSciIT - bachelor of science in it - http://it.uts.edu.au/course/undergrad/local/bscitdipitpp.html
-more focused on computers
-choice of four majors
-no scholarship
-diploma of it professional practice at the end allows you to do a year's work experience

hope that helps

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
What jasee and help_me_please said is correct.

For the core subjects of IT, you pretty much need to know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. If you find that hard to do, there are always maths study seminars at the beginning of each semester which will help you with any queries you may have.

orly? : Let me know if you want a rundown on the Business/Computing degree or not.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Not really. I didn't know UNIX before, and I learnt alot of how to use it and the basics in a subject called Principles of Distributed Computing.

The new IT courses have a subject called "Web Systems (31268)" which mentions: "At the core of this activity is learning Unix, the operating system which supports the majority of web applications." (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/31268.html)

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Unless they teach UNIX in high school now, you only need to know what you get out of mandatory high school subjects. In NSW, that's just English and the compulsory subjects from K - 10. Everything else is taught to you - that's part of what you're paying for.

No maths required. I believe USYD and UNSW do actually require math skills.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The computing course I did last session was significantly easier if you were good at maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)