'Assumed knowledge' and dropping subjects (1 Viewer)

carolineh1

HSC
Hey guys

I'm considering dropping Chemistry (yes, less than 2 weeks before trials I know) as I really don't have the time to properly learn everything in it, its my worst subject, and most hated subject.

Also I dropped to General at the beginning of term 2 (it's now one of my best subjects), even though I 'get' a lot of the harder maths, because my marks were REALLY bringing me down with the super hard stuff.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to assumed knowledge... how much assumed knowledge do you really need?

1 of the Uni courses I'm considering next year states:
Assumed knowledge: at least 2 of Bio/Chem/2UMaths/Physics

I do and enjoy bio. If I did Chem for Yr 11 and most of yr 12, and same with Mathematics, would that get me through? I can always do a summer school, but basically SHOULD I DROP CHEMISTRY? I don't want to make a mistake that means tons of extra catch up work after the HSC but I'm absolutely loathing it at the moment :p

Btw I'm wanting to do animal-related studies (think: RSPCA welfare type work) so courses like BZoology UNE, BSc (Animal Science) UWS and BNatSc (Animal Science) are ones I'm looking into :)

Last edited:

ct92

HSC
If it's just assumed knowledge and not an official prerequisite, I'd say you'd probably be okay with the knowledge you have so far - that said, contact the university before you do drop it, just to be sure. But since you've come this far with chemistry, I wouldn't drop it. Even if you think you're going to do badly, you might surprise yourself, and it's good to have that safety net if you perform unexpectedly badly in another subject.

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
assumed knowledge kinda like recommendation rather than you must. But some course do require you to, like the person above me said. Best thing to do would be check the course you want to and see if theres any specific requirement.

IMO, you should keep chem and drop visual arts.

carolineh1

HSC
Thing is, I'm about 99% certain Chemistry will be my worst performing subject overall, and so not even go towards my ATAR. Its nice to have a safety net and all, but if the rest of my subjects are going well and I'm totally bombing chem, is there even any point keeping it? Just musing...

Mm yeah not gonna happen - I've already almost finished my major work, and I'm creative arts captain.. haha don't think dropping Art would go down too well... :)

random-1006

Banned
HSC
assumed knowledge kinda like recommendation rather than you must. But some course do require you to, like the person above me said. Best thing to do would be check the course you want to and see if theres any specific requirement.

nah, if your course only needs 70-80atar wouldnt worry about dropping the arts to keep chem

DeNiMuLiC

HSC
Assumed knowledge is a lie. They just say it so dumbfucks freak out and don't join their course.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Assumed knowledge is a lie. They just say it so dumbfucks freak out and don't join their course.
lol keep talking shit, if you try to do any bachelor of science without previously doing 3 unit maths and either chemistry or physics, you WILL have a hard time in first few semesters

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It depends what the course is. If you actually have to do a chemistry or maths course in your first year and you are struggling with HSC Chem and 2U, then I'd suggest you think carefully about it - you will find it very tough, at least without a bridging course.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lol keep talking shit, if you try to do any bachelor of science without previously doing 3 unit maths and either chemistry or physics, you WILL have a hard time in first few semesters
HSC physics is the most useless shit in when doing Physics courses in uni, chem on the other hand helps a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)