Assignment Confusion (1 Viewer)

thatjazz

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I've got an assignment (oral presentation) to do on Women in New Kingdom Egypt, and having since begun researching the topic I've realised there is a wealth of information on the topic, I am going to need to narrow it down to a particular area. I was thinking, perhaps, the role of Royal Women, or Women in the Tombs, or something.

Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers and goodnight!

X

xeuyrawp

thatjazz said:
Hi Everyone,

I've got an assignment (oral presentation) to do on Women in New Kingdom Egypt, and having since begun researching the topic I've realised there is a wealth of information on the topic, I am going to need to narrow it down to a particular area. I was thinking, perhaps, the role of Royal Women, or Women in the Tombs, or something.

Cheers and goodnight!
Which exact topic is this part of? A NK period, or the Ramesside society?

The reason I ask is because you can only use evidence from or relating to your period. You need to give us your specifics so we can help.

thatjazz

HSC
Hi, and thanks for getting back to me.

As far as I am aware, I only have to focus on Egypt of the New Kingdom, as that is our period. Dynasty 18 - Dynasty 20.

Does that answer your help?

This assignment isn't to do with the focus areas, like you've said. I think really, it's just generaly examining research skills etc.

Thanks!

X

xeuyrawp

thatjazz said:
Hi, and thanks for getting back to me.

As far as I am aware, I only have to focus on Egypt of the New Kingdom, as that is our period. Dynasty 18 - Dynasty 20.

Does that answer your help?

This assignment isn't to do with the focus areas, like you've said. I think really, it's just generaly examining research skills etc.

Thanks!
There's no period that deals with Dynasty 18 - Dynasty 20.

There is

Periods:

- Option C: Egypt: New Kingdom Egypt to the death of Thutmosis IV. Spans across the 18th Dynasty with the Tuthmosides, and Hatshepsut, the female ruler.

and

- Option D: Egypt: New Kingdom Egypt from Amenhotep III to the death of
Ramesses II. Spans across the last 6 rulers of the 18th D (Amenhotep III), until about the 3rd ruler of the 19th D (Ramses II).

Society:

- Option C. Society in New Kingdom Egypt during the Ramesside Period, Dynasties 19-20. All of 19 - 20th D, going from Ramses I to Ramses IX.

X

xeuyrawp

miss_gtr said:
He's in year 11.. maybe its a free option that the teacher made up.
Oh dear, so he is. I wish people would put that in their sig.

Who cares about year 11?

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
kudos to u!!

Id focus on how women gained power - in that period a woman became pharaoh, tehre was also given the title Wife of amun etc.

Persponally i think its more intereessting, and if u do Egypt in yr 12 it will make it easier if uve already started it - spec if Hatshepsut is ur personality

X

xeuyrawp

angelduck said:
Persponally i think its more intereessting, and if u do Egypt in yr 12 it will make it easier if uve already started it - spec if Hatshepsut is ur personality
Actually, that's very true. Doing Deir el Medina in year 11 helped with the start of year 12 a lot.

classics_chic

HSC
Also look at the way in which women were pictured, and the way in which their role was glorified/ not (this would show either encouragement of women to do it, or a man's hatred for it, or perhaps a way in which the women- if they have any kind of power- are placated into fulfilling their roles). Sorry about the generalities, this isn't really my area. But it should help anyway! Also, women in the tombs could be interesting: what do we know about the things left behind? Since they were to be used in the afterlife, what does this tell us about the before-death? (and yes, I just made that word up. So shoot me. People know what I mean.)

Nothing wrong with year 11's here. They need help, too. Kudos for your views on schools and bombs. Hear, hear!

X

xeuyrawp

thatjazz said:
Hi Everyone,

Cheers and goodnight!
Wait, I totally digressed.

If you still want info-

Devide the Women up into two categories and handle it this way - political women and social women. I use the terms in a weird way, but I mean women who were presented to as as part of "political" (battlefield) history- on tombs, statues, temples, and as part of "social" (Marxist/peasant) history - on letters, comparitive studies, pottery etc.

For the political women, it would be good to look at the famous females, Hathepsut, Nefertiti, Nefertari etc- from places like Abu Simbel, Sennedjem's tomb, talatat from Amarna and the like. You get women who were important by the standards of traditional history: they played sennet, paddled around in boats, were religious icons.

For social women, we're talking about those deamed unimportant by the traditionalist snobs; here you get evidence from philological and epigraphical evidence, pottery, and have to use comparitive studies. By comparitive studies, you'd talk about how known people (sometimes modern, sometimes ancient) that lived in like conditions lived. You could look at, say, village people elsewhere in Africa, like Tunisia, and talk about how they lived.

I never bothered typing up a "Prominent Women in Egypt" essay, otherwise I would post it up here.

thatjazz

HSC
Ah, what a wonderful piece of advice. Thankyou for your help :). What wonderfully intelligent Historians we have hear on BOS ;-)

X

xeuyrawp

thatjazz said:
Ah, what a wonderful piece of advice.
Glad we could help.

thatjazz said:
Thankyou for your help :). What wonderfully intelligent Historians we have hear on BOS ;-)
Nono! We're not historians:rolleyes:! *Points to sig*

X

xeuyrawp

angelduck said:
i am!! A P Lewis!!!

(for further info on such a well versed historian plz see mafia thread)
AP Lewis has a good ring to it.

X

xeuyrawp

angelduck said:
i am!! A P Lewis!!!

(for further info on such a well versed historian plz see mafia thread)
I don't want to look in the "Problem with Pamela Brady" thread, do I?

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
actually it could be there too, it came about coz our yr didnt like the textbook explanations, and mine were usually far more entertaining, and sometimes more believable (the one about hatshepsut being an alien, and actually a man, pretending to be a female pretending to be a man were the worst...)

X

xeuyrawp

angelduck said:
actually it could be there too, it came about coz our yr didnt like the textbook explanations, and mine were usually far more entertaining, and sometimes more believable (the one about hatshepsut being an alien, and actually a man, pretending to be a female pretending to be a man were the worst...)
Next year I can give a definitive answer on that, I'm starting marking centre training in April :D

X

xeuyrawp

angelduck said:
sweeeet (10 char)
Yah, apparently the pay's good, too, so I'm not complaining. I'm also doing marking for my old school's extension history, as the parents suggested getting one in an effort to be 'fair', when the markers are also HSC markers :rolleyes:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)