assessment task rules - help needed (1 Viewer)

rach_06

HSC
I need to put in a claim for a task I received "zero" on... I'ts a long story, I'm top of my class ... and due to circumstances I didn't have it in on time... and a big fat zero has followed...

my question is can someone find me a reference in the HSC guides that states that a teacher must ensure that all students receive the same information for an assessment task... eg in a class of 15 - 13 are no hopers, the teacher tells student no.2 something which is pivital in the outcome of the task, but does not tell everyone else...

DESPERATELY NEED HELP...PLZ

rach_06

HSC
software based assignment, 2 top students decide to use newer version of software than school supports.... student 2 gets told by teacher, hand in as is I'll get the newer version of software to mark assignment, student 1 does not get told and spends days developing web based version so teacher can mark assignment over the internet (student 1 assignment is on scholl server were teacher can get access, but chooses not to).... blah blah blah.... student 1 gets told of the teachers information to student 2 once she can't access the web version and after it has been handed in late...ZERO marks.... the story goes on for about 3 pages... claim to be submitted Monday... not happy Jan

can we talk about it . .... new_newton@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm not sure if I fully understand your situation.

So student 1 has already made the assignment using the newer version. But student 1 was not told that the school will get the newer version so that the assignment can be marked. So student 1 re-develops the entire program as a web based version. Then what ?

Did you talk about it to the head teacher about it?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You might find these document quite useful when making your complaint.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_assess_advice_teacher.pdf

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_assess_advice_student.pdf

And particularly this document at around page 12:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/HSC_assess_booklet.pdf

"Occasions when zero marks are awarded?
Schools should be aware that zero marks are not to be given as a disciplinary measure. However, where the judgement is made that a student has not made a genuine attempt, or does not have a valid reason for not completing a task, or there is evidence of serious malpractice, such as plagiarism and cheating at examinations, then a zero mark should be recorded for that task."

In your situation, a zero mark should not of been award. Hypothetically, even if someone handed in an assignment late, should not constitute for a zero mark. Considering you did hand your assessment in time, and your teacher claimed it as being late, you should not of gotten a zero in any case.

Hope it helps. Goodluck. Let me know the outcome or if you have any more questions.

s2indie

HSC
At our school, you won't get a zero if you hand it in late unless you don't tell the school previously of why it is handed in late.
Yeh, and IF it is handed in late, its 25% off our awarded mark for every day it's late.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well I know at my school you are award with a zero mark if you fail to hand it in on the due date before 8.30am unless you ring the school pior and then submit a missadventure form with the assignment the day you return.

rach_06 I still can't understand why you handed it in late, better to hand something in then not at all. Anyway good luck with the appeal.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
if its software issues, i had a friend who had one of his files screw up from his USB on the due date, so couldnt get the entire program working.... however he was lucky in that the source code was in his technical manual.

so maybe if you've proved the work was done already?

idno, i still cant understand completely wat ur situation is sorry :s

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Exactly right priesty, I was reading through some of my schools appeal systems if you can prove you had something then they may grant you to do another task of a similar nature or have what work you have marked under the consideration that some of lost etc.

Schools have appeal systems in place for this sort of thing, best advice for you is to work out if you can appeal the decision or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)