Assessment rank and external mark (1 Viewer)

anchor72

HSC
Someone told me this, I have no idea if it's true or not, so I'm asking for clarification:

Suppose you have a class of 5 and they get their assessment ranks as follows:

Student 1 - 95
student 2 - 93
student 3 - 90
Student 4 - 85
Student 5 - 83

But then come HSC exam time, student 2 and student 3 outranks student 1 such that there raw marks are:

Student 2 - 97
Student 3 - 91
Student 1 - 89
Student 4 - 87
Student 5 - 85

Is it true that student 1 would then get student 2's raw mark because he came first in the assessments he automatically gets the top mark in the HSC for his cohort, such that student 1 gets 95 for his assessment and 97 for his aligned mark?

Manroop

HSC
so on his final hsc results sheet it would be 97 for assessment mark and 89 for external mark. Your external mark won't change, only your assessment mark. Also have to be careful when using words like aligned. Your raw marks are aligned so the exam marks you gave us for HSC are aligned marks. The student that is ranked first must get the highest exam mark obtained by their cohort. In this case student 1's HSC mark would be 93

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
that's slightly incorrect.

It is true that Student 1 - THE student who obtained 1st INTERNALLY, will receive the highest external mark as their INTERNAL MARK. That is, the actual raw marks from assessments do not mean anything.
Therefore Student 1 will receive 97 for his/her assessment mark.

Everyone keeps their own HSC external mark.

E.g. Student 1 will receive 97 (top external mark as their assessment mark) and they will keep their own exam mark 89. avg of 97 and 89 = 93 HSC mark.

Similarly, the relative gaps between the ranks decide the other student's assessment marks. The mean(average) HSC external mark becomes the mean HSC assessment marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)