Assessment of the significance of the Manhattan Project to society (1 Viewer)

Excalibur

Umm I'm not sure if this is of help but here it is......

Assessment of the significance of the Manhattan Project to society.

The Manhattan Project caused the beginning of a new era, Quantum Mechanics. This had many political, scientific, ethical and environmental impacts. Some positive impacts were:

The conclusion of World War Two.
The invention of Nuclear Power Plants, based on the work of Fermi on producing a self-sustaining chain reaction.
The application of nuclear physic to medicine resulting in treatment like radio therapy which has saved millions of people world wide.
The employment of many scientists at the time.

But there were also many negative impacts, such as:

The subsequent beginning of the arms race, resulting in the beginning of the Cold War and an excess of unstable nuclear weaponry.
The mass annihilation of the people inhabiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The environmental degradation at both the drop zones and nuclear testing sites. Leading to birth defects, low crop yields and the mass radiation poisoning of the blast survivors.
The creation of the first world super power, America, giving American politicians almost infinite power and world domination.
This simple weaponry has given rise to new and even more devastating weapons such as the Hydrogen Bomb. It also has given man the very real ability to cause the self-extinction of our species.
The Manhattan Project has lead to many ethical dilemmas in the scientific community. This also has lead to some debate and conflicting views on whether scientists should boycott any further nuclear developments.

Despite all the negative impacts of the Manhattan Project I believe overall it has a positive societal outcome and of incomprehensible significance. Cleaner and cheaper energy is now available from nuclear plants and we are in a time of nuclear disarmament. Relative to todays society I believe that the Manhattan Project had a net positive impact.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep u have good points there...u should do fine~

Inhuman

HSC
Originally posted by Excalibur
The creation of the first world super power, America, giving American politicians almost infinite power and world domination.
lol, I'd like to see someone say that in the exam :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)