Assessment - Motors (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Hey, I got an assessment due in 2 weeks, this is what I have to do:

- Research methods of constructing a simple electric motor
- Construct a simple motor
- Describe the forces experienced by a current carrying loop in a magnetic field and the net result of those forces
- Describe the main features of an electric motor and the function of each featire

Could any one give me any advice about how I could go about doing this assessment ? Where should I be researching ? I am completely lost !!!

Thanx for any help ...

Blay

the TwinBlade
would it be safe to say that we're all from SYDNEY
HSC
awww man you got a REALLY easy assessment man... i wish i had your assessment ><* we gotta make an AC Generator from scratch -__-" try to get yourself the new HSC Jacaranda book (the red one with the space man) :D it's really good

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
1/
bend 2 paper clip into y shapes and tape them to the ends of battery

tape a magnet on top of battery

make a coil of copper wires with 2 ends sticking out as axles (like this: -O-)

remove half of the copper wire axles insulations using a blade

place the coil onto the battery so that the axles rests on the paper clip Y frame.

note the DC current is not reversed, it is merely cut off when the paperclip touches the insulation half of the copper wire, the momentum caries the coil, through 180 degrees before current flows 1ce more, again creating the torque

2/
the catapulting force as a result of the motor effect is given by F=qvBsin@ which would be explained in all the text books, in a motor, the current travels in teh opposite directions at oppsite ends, creatiing a torque. (draw a few diagrams of the force vectors as the rotor turns, its easier to understand that way)

3/
this is in all the text books. theres the stator, generally the field magnet and coils taht provide the B field, the rotating rotor, which is generally the coil, brushes to connect the rotor the external circuilt to the rotor, and a commutator(DC) or slip ring(AC) in contact with the brush. the commutator also reverses the input current so that the rotor dont just oscillate back and forth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)