Assessing the impact of Heisenberg and Pauli (1 Viewer)

grimreaper

HSC
Hey all, I know its pretty easy to just describe what heisenberg and Pauli actually did for atomic theory (ie the uncertainty and exclusion principles) but I was wondering if anyone knew how to assess the impact of their work? No textbooks\resources really seem to do this, but since its stated in the syllabus, if a question comes up on it it'll probably be assessing their contributions.

sHin

This is off the top of my head.. some of it might be wrong:

Heisenberg was the first person to develop a coherent mathematical model of quantum mechanics, known at the time as "matrix mechanics". This is the foundation of modern day quantum physics.

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle changed the way physicists conducted experiments, by focusing on observable properties as opposed to what is actually happening. (Since the uncertainty principle implies that you can never really accurately measure something)

Pauli's exclusion principle gave reason for the observed shell arrangements (2,8,8..), accounted for the exponentially large size of heavier elements and gave a theoretical basis for the periodic classification of elements.

The neutrino was the first "true" fundamental particle to be discovered. The development of the standard model of matter followed this.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Hesienburg's uncertainity principle also helped explain many things about the Big Bang and its early stages. It also brings the idea of identical particles into play. The full impact of the uncertainity principle will be felt as quantum computing comes into play.

Pauli's exclusion principle. Bose-Einstein Condensates and Fermion condensates (super fluids) able to be made, introduced colour charge to prevent quarks from sharing the same state which helped to explain the strong nuclear force and why it affects protons and neutrons equally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)