Assess & evaluate = same exact thing? (1 Viewer)

wintering

HSC
E.g. a) Assess the importance of nationalism as a cause of the failure of democracy in Germany in the period 1918–1934

Evaluate the importance of nationalism as a cause of the failure of democracy in Germany in the period 1918–1934

y/n?

Also... "To what extent was nationalism a cause of the failure of democracy in Germany in the period 1918–1934?" is pretty similar too.

I mean... Would you answer these questions any differently to each other? :s

Eddy1ner

HSC
In my opinion, Assess and Evaluate are very similar. However, when evaluating, place a greater emphasis on distinguishing between one answer from another. Eg, Nationalism was the main cause, or it wasn’t the main cause.

Whereas, assess looks at a broader range of causes or outcomes. When assessing, one would be required to determine the value and quality of outcomes.

Main differences

Assess- Determine the value of outcomes.
Evaluate - Make your judgement based on criteria.

However, both terms are very similar and tbh, I would answer them largely the same.

Hope this helps a little bit.

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
They are not the same, however, they do both ask you to make a judgement. Evaluate means to judge on a hierachy. What was the most important factor? Discuss the most important factors first and then scale your way down. You do need to say why one factor was more important than another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)