assesment marks to hsc (1 Viewer)

donovan

HSC
hi guys just wondering if anyone knows how much you can improve your marks between your final assesment marks and the hsc marks

kewlu

Banned
HSC
You can't change your assessment marks after you're done.

The HSC is quite obviously the external exam mark.

Therefore, you can't change much.

beentherdunthat

HSC
kewlu said:
You can't change your assessment marks after you're done.

The HSC is quite obviously the external exam mark.

Therefore, you can't change much.
The BOS moderates the assesment mark to suit your hsc examination mark ;) That means the only thing that remains the same is your rank.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
My teacher said if you are really determined between the period of your trial exam and your HSC, you can maybe pull off a 10% improvement. Is that true?

sophie1989

HSC
shanti96 said:
My teacher said if you are really determined between the period of your trial exam and your HSC, you can maybe pull off a 10% improvement. Is that true?
yepyepeyep

HSC
your school marks *can* be moderated, if your school as a whole improves on your assessment marks in the hsc exam. if everyone goes well, bos assumes you were either given hard tests or your school estimates were underestimated so they bump up your school marks according to the degree of improvement and your ranks. your exam mark will essentially be what you deserve though. in saying that, you can't improve your school mark that much unless *everyone* improves substantially which doesn't usually happen.

beentherdunthat

HSC
watatank said:
your school marks *can* be moderated, if your school as a whole improves on your assessment marks in the hsc exam. if everyone goes well, bos assumes you were either given hard tests or your school estimates were underestimated so they bump up your school marks according to the degree of improvement and your ranks. your exam mark will essentially be what you deserve though. in saying that, you can't improve your school mark that much unless *everyone* improves substantially which doesn't usually happen.
lolz. But mine got moderated a lot. ;)

kewlu

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
The BOS moderates the assesment mark to suit your hsc examination mark ;) That means the only thing that remains the same is your rank.
That's the BOS. Not us. Meaning that we can't change our marks, but they can.

beentherdunthat

HSC
kewlu said:
That's the BOS. Not us. Meaning that we can't change our marks, but they can.
But in the end it depends on your hsc examination mark. Since you're doing the hsc, and the bos is moderating according to the exam mark, then basically you're changing your own mark :p (if you get my drift ;) )

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lolz. But mine got moderated a lot. ;)
you were probably at the top or close to, i think? i forgot that's a factor. so yeah even if you get say 80 or something in internals and you're first but then get 90 in the exam, your internal mark will be brought to 90 also. your mark can also improve a fair bit if you're right at the bottom and improve in the exam. but if youre in the middle its harder to improve substantially.

beentherdunthat

HSC
watatank said:
you were probably at the top or close to, i think? i forgot that's a factor. so yeah even if you get say 80 or something in internals and you're first but then get 90 in the exam, your internal mark will be brought to 90 also. but if youre in the middle its harder to improve substantially.
My assesment was round about 82. I ranked 16th. I came first, and my assesment got moderated to 96.

EXAM MARK: 98
AsSESMENT MARK: 96
HSC Mark: 97 (DEpRESsing)

Seppuku

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
My assesment was round about 82. I ranked 16th. I came first, and my assesment got moderated to 96.

EXAM MARK: 98
AsSESMENT MARK: 96
HSC Mark: 97 (DEpRESsing)
O RRY? What did you get 97 for??

ssglain

HSC
Raw assessment marks do not necessarily correlate well to your HSC mark. This can vary depending on the subject, the difficulty of your assessments and the strictness of the marking.

Our maths department was keen to reveal of past statistics. Apparently every one who got over 65/100 as their raw assessment mark managed HSC marks of at least mid 90s. So I'm feeling pretty safe to be sitting on 74/100, even though it's a rather depressing number to look at. Biology is very different on the other hand. I wouldn't say our assessments were easy because they were definitely at the HSC exam level, but not much further beyond that. It's expected that our HSC marks will be very similar to our raw assessment marks, with possibly a maximum 5% increase.

So talk to your teachers. They see the statistics every year and will generally have a pretty good idea of how your assessments compare to external exams.

Continue to work hard because there is nothing else that you can do beside giving your absolute best at the external exam - if you aim to achieve good results, of course. It's not over yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)