Asking for jobs at stores? (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

Okay this may sound totally stupid but I'll ask anyway. When going into different stores to see if they got any jobs available or whatever, who should you speak to?

elisabeth

HSC
It's not stupid! It's how I got two of my jobs :D

I go (preferrably during a non-busy time) to the main counter or layby type place and go"hi, would I be able to speak to the manager please?" Then when one comes over, say you just wanted to enquire about whether there are any positions available. The salesgirls aren't usually in a position to talk about positions vacant, they might not even know if it hasn't been advertised! if you impress the manager, they might remember you when they're looking over resumes handed in.

Good luck :)

duggoh

Adam
HSC
Or try careerone or seek?

I got my two last jobs by just leaving my resume with the manager and they called me like two weeks later when someone quit...

I work at gloria jeans now, but I did work at mcdonalds for around six months, and I must be honest, even tho the pay is SHIT!!! they did give me a good foot up, because i started doing service then did mccafe, which was great cause the gloria jeans i work at only allows people with cafe experience .

Also ColesMyer and Woolworths and HMV allow you to apply online... oh and Angus and Robertson Bookstores show all vacancies online.

Try smoothie bars and stuff 2, theyre always looking :p

Good luck finding work :D

*adam*

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i have learnt from a long process...

do not hand you resume to the people just working there. chances are they will forget to give it to the manager and they might even throw it out.

when you get there ask if you can speak to the manager. when you see them tell them you are looking for work or that you are wondering if there are available positions (this sets you up for a 'no' but then you could say 'well can i leave a resume with you anyway' or that you want to hand in a resume.

do you here think you should introduce yourself? like when you see the manager say "hi, i'm iambored and i am interested in...."

elisabeth

HSC
^ I don't. But if you give them your resume, they ususally look at it and are like 'Well Elisabeth, we'll call you if anything comes up'.

superbird

HSC
asking for the manager can be really annoying sometimes. like for instance the cinemas were packed as yesterday and we were so busy, yet i had one girl asking to speak to the manager to apply for a job. i didn't mind but my manager did when she had to stop serving people to talk to her.
its cool to ask to speak to the manager but don't do it when its busy.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i usually don't give my name either, i want to get to the important stuff without wasting too much time.

good advice superbird, i'm glad to know that. i just know when i gave my resumes to the workers i got called once maybe, when i gave it to the manager there was more chance i owuld be called.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
leave ur resume EVERYWHERE, you're sure to get a reply from someone
make sure you dress appropriate to the place you're looking for employment too, like SDS and DJ's wont have the same dress code/style/preference
and be super friendly and really open

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hahah actually asking at stores for jobs really blows, its so damn embarrasing ... especially when the person ur asking is like a 14yr old gimp :( and they act superior to u !!!! makes me wanna take my belt off and chase them around the store, which is prolli why i dont have a job :eek:

dougthelegend

HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Okay this may sound totally stupid but I'll ask anyway. When going into different stores to see if they got any jobs available or whatever, who should you speak to?
OK, i've got a fair bit of experience in this sort of field (i work for my local Job Network Member).

- NEVER leave your resume with the sales assistant (remember - it may be them that you replace if successful!!)
- Always take a copy of your resume with you. Try to include all relevant certificates etc, but dont make it too long (generally less than 10 pages including certificates)
- Speak to the manager, or ask to speak to the person in charge of Human Resources. if they are not available, ask when they will be back, and make an appointment if necessary.
- Go to as many stores as possible.

The main thing to remember is to never give up. Persistance is the key. You may apply for 100 jobs, and get 99 knockbacks - but all you need is one!

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
make friends with someone in a higher position

department manager
administrative person
or even just a supervisor
but preferably the manager. If in doubt - bake a pizza pie for him/her.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
lol u and ur mcfucking pizza pies
yeah make sure u ask for the manager or whatever (gee, that doug kid is smart!)
oh and make a cover page with a quick summery of experience/qualifications- they prolly get heaps of resume's and you want yours to be easy to read and all that

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
definitely go for the manager. and make sure that if you're handing in your resume, go for the manager as well coz many SA just ignore it and misplaces it. Also, like many have said, make sure you go at a time when the store's quiet :D

What you might like to do is to print a stack of resume, and bring it to the shopping centre. whenever you see a store with the sign 'Position vacant blah blah' on, go in and hand the resume

good luck!

duggoh

Adam
HSC
OOOOH, i have a good one... we get resumes in all the time, and i just hand them 2 the manager, but they also make ALOT more of a difference if the cover page is coloured paper (not anything 2 crazy, maybe pale pink, green, blue or yellow or violet), and coloured paper isnt 2 expensive either...

And yeah, I have 2 repeat the note bout manager, theyre more impressed if u ask for them rather than just hand in a resume, it means u want the job...

G

Gavvvvvin

dougthelegend said:
- Always take a copy of your resume with you. Try to include all relevant certificates etc, but dont make it too long (generally less than 10 pages including certificates)
What kinda certificates should I include? Would school certificates be alright?

Also is it worthwhile going to stores like the Coles Myer ones even though they have the whole online application thing?

duggoh

Adam
HSC
No, they just tell you they can't accept your resume and you should apply online

elisabeth

HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
What kinda certificates should I include? Would school certificates be alright?
OK, this is what my friends and I do. When you go job hunting, print off a crapload of 1 page resumes to hand out and put them in a folder, which also contains school reports, certificates, references etc.

When shops ask if you have a resume on you, then you give them one. However, if you get chatting to the manager, they might ask if you've got a recent school report they could see and -wham- whip out your folder and show them... they may happen to look at the certificates and references too. The more they know about you, the more they'll have to remember you by so Advantage = you! :D

deano059

HSC
superbird said:
asking for the manager can be really annoying sometimes. like for instance the cinemas were packed as yesterday and we were so busy, yet i had one girl asking to speak to the manager to apply for a job. i didn't mind but my manager did when she had to stop serving people to talk to her.
its cool to ask to speak to the manager but don't do it when its busy.
You need to speak to managers though because the teens that r working behind counters at cinemas etc r likely to throw out or lose ur resume if you give them one, or if you ask for an application form ive heard can pretend theres none to not give you one - saving more shifts for themselves

wevil

fuck u dicks i have left
HSC
N/A
!

the other day i went around the towers asking for positions. some of the stores were fucking bastards & didnt accept my resume, i felt like saying to them as the beastie boys say: hey fuck you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)